cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM user for years. Suddenly cannot receive calls/texts

SlickTrick44
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Using ANDROID phone can make outgoing calls without issues. Have been unable to receive calls for several hours.

I have taken the SIM card out for 30 minutes.

I have switched to 3G.

I have rebooted numerous times.

No spare phone to try.

Account is on auto pay, and is in the middle of the pay cycle (not owing).

DND is not activated.

No call blocking enabled.

Multiple people have tried calling from different networks - straight to VM.

Anything I have missed?

8 REPLIES 8

@SlickTrick44 

This is a SIM card provisioning issue that you have solved basically on your own. One of the troubleshooting tricks to try is removing the SIM card from the phone. Often times users don't do this for a long enough time go actually work. You in effect did the same thing by giving the sim card a long enough to be out of communication with the network and your phone that it was able to reprovision itself.

If you find it acting up again go thru this list but if it continues to do it then you need a CSA to reprovision it from the account side.

Edit:

Oops I forgot to add this....

1. Reboot your phone. ( You should do this once a week anyways.)
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Remove SIM card and set aside. Check for any dirt or debris in the SIM slot. Check the SIM card for dirt or damage and gently clean with a little alcohol and a cotton swab. After 10 minutes reseat the SIM card making sure the SIM fits snugly in the SIM slot. Use a paper shim or a little tape to secure it in slot/tray. Reinsert in the phone and reboot.
  4. Put your SIM card in another phone to see if it works and/or the other slot of a dual sim phone and send a text. Then return the SIM to the original phone to see if the issue is still there.
  5. Perform a network reset.
  6. Clear the cache of the troublesome apps.(Try safe mode) Perform device maintenance.*
  7. Add a payment of at least $1 to your account balance.**
  8. Log in to your self serve account. Go to the plans or usage page. Click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and Reboot.***
  9. Contact customer support via Simple--Simon or private message.

*Will not help reprovision.

**Will not help a poor connection.

***Caution : Using lost/stolen w/active service even briefly will cause rewards to not apply upon renewal. You must contact the CSA's after renewal and ask for them to be applied manually. Also will not help a poor connection.

SlickTrick44

I tried all the troubleshooting suggested. While I charged the old phone I powered the current phone (with the issue) off. I ended up leaving the phone powered off for about 2 hours.

I decided to give it a one last go before stripping the case off again to get at the SIM card, and it lit up delivering all the missed calls and texts.

I can't zero in on what exactly resolved, but the 2 hours of being powered off seems to have worked.

I appreciate y'all for offering assistance. Good luck to others being affected.

Amazee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't have an old phone I can try my SIM card in.  I might be able to get one tomorrow.  I have tried everything else though.  Not working, No outages in my area of Halifax.  Frustrating!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SlickTrick44 

check it out is issue Towers Map in your area...outages Here link, 

something maybe is help, do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

SlickTrick44

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the network reset which was something I missed. Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue. I even set the network to specifically CDMA/3G with no luck there either. I found another setting to specifically connect to an in range carrier, and verified that I was not roaming and was in fact connected to the Telus/PM network.

The phone is set to auto update, but I checked anyways, and there were no phone updates, and no app updates. Nothing recently installed either.

I tried both of the links you suggested, and there are no outages on the East Coast, and the outages out West would unlikely be the cause in this instance.

I will dig out one of my really old phones (BlackBerry - don't laugh.. lol ok you can laugh) and see if it will charge enough to eliminate a SIM issue.

Thanks for trying to help.

@Amazee wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my iphone.  I spoke to iphone support and they told me it has to be public mobile issue.  So I thought i would check to see if anyone else is having the same problem.  Calling out is fine.... No incoming calls/texts

@Amazee strange...

Have you tried trouble shooting above... what other things have you tried?

There were outages reported earlier...but your calling out is fine...so, not sure.

Check for outages in your area: https://www.telus.com/en/on/outages

or https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

@SlickTrick44  @Amazee 

If this and other suggestions are not solving anything, see what CSA says about this.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:x

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

Amazee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm having the same problem with my iphone.  I spoke to iphone support and they told me it has to be public mobile issue.  So I thought i would check to see if anyone else is having the same problem.  Calling out is fine.... No incoming calls/texts

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SlickTrick44 wrote:

Using ANDROID phone can make outgoing calls without issues. Have been unable to receive calls for several hours.

I have taken the SIM card out for 30 minutes.

I have switched to 3G.

I have rebooted numerous times.

No spare phone to try.

Account is on auto pay, and is in the middle of the pay cycle (not owing).

DND is not activated.

No call blocking enabled.

Multiple people have tried calling from different networks - straight to VM.

Anything I have missed?

@SlickTrick44 

Try a NETWORK Reset of your Device's settings.

1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

Also, check for any software updates on your device.

Can you try your SIM into another compatible phone to see if the same thing happens? 

Check for outages in your area: https://www.telus.com/en/on/outages

or https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

Need Help? Let's chat.