cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM's SMTP Outgoing Server

hlkidd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I recently joined Public Mobile and I'm trying to setup my work e-mail on my phone.

What is PM's outgoing SMTP server?  Which port?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I keep learning more and more each day. Thanks. 🙂

I also can't think of any reason to use a Public Mobile SMTP server.  Public Mobile isn't an internet provider, and doesn't issue e-mail addresses to subscribers.  Any use of Public Mobile or Telus's servers for e-mail purposes with be unauthorized and otherwise something that you're not supposed to do.  You would be using someone else's/another company's e-mail servers to relay/redirect your e-mail message communications.  Even the outgoing messages did go through, such relaying would likely fail e-mail security checks and get flagged as spoofing, unsafe, or as spam.

There was a day that even some of  Canada's largest ISPs allowed such a security vulnerability.  It was easy to spoof yourself as being someone else, and then even use the proper servers to send the messages, making the spoofed messages appear more legitimate.  I tried that before as a joke to a friend (example: making it look like friends were sending messages to themselves, etc.).

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

OP must be using BlackBerry?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker that was my thought, too.  Isn't that relaying, if I remember correctly?  Which I thought pretty much everyone turned off to prevent anyone from using your server to send out spam or worse?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If it gets accepted to send, I'd be really surprised.  Other than text messaging, I wouldn't allow any form of message be sent via the Telus server without some secure form of authorization.

srlawren

@stonechucker although, @canucks4life's accepted solution above makes me thing PM may have outbound SMTP support?  I would still use my work's mail server instead though for work account.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, thanks for confirming... thought I was going nuts 🙂

Had to recall my IT Helpdesk work from ages ago.

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

Forgive me, but don't you want the information for your work SMTP server?  Why would you need the one for Public Mobile?

@stonechucker agreed 100%

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Forgive me, but don't you want the information for your work SMTP server?  Why would you need the one for Public Mobile?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

smtp.telus.net port 25 should work fine using cellular data.

Need Help? Let's chat.