cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM doesn't have wifi calling, but I still get wifi calling (bug?)

Lemoguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

As the title suggests, I've looked around and read that PM doesn't support wifi calling, which doesn't affect me. However, whenever I am on wifi and text someone else who uses a Samsung/Android, my texts send as wifi texts. This is extremely annoying because if the other person doesn't have wifi at that moment, they don't get the text but on my end it shows it as delivered. There is no way for me to resend the text as a normal text unless I turn off my wifi every single time. 

Not only can I not resend it, I do not have the wifi calling option in my settings at all, meaning I can't even disable it. 

Does anyone know about this, and any possible workaround/ solution? 

Much appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14

Lemoguy

I can't really give a reason as to why, but I don't like the Google messages app. I tried it out, and it lets me disable rcs for the Google app. However, going back to the messaging app greys out the settings again obviously. It does seem like my texts are sending normally though for the time being, but I'll see again in a bit when my friend gets on wifi. That might trigger it again, I'm not sure. Thanks for the help!

HI @Lemoguy 

so, you don't need Wifi Calling?  then it is perfect, PM does not have that

Lemoguy

I noticed it around a year ago and thought it was just a feature I could disable whenever, and it didn't bother me at the time so I never tried fixing it. Then, my friend decided to disable his because he didn't like it and so I noticed the problem and tried to disable it recently, and found out I can't. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

This is definitely not a wifi calling issue. It sounds to me like an RCS issue, but it's supposed to fallback to SMS (unless you have it set different?) if both sides aren't on data/RCS. It's interesting to me that the RCS settings are all greyed out. Maybe it's a Samsung issue? Though they do use RCS to my knowledge, so I don't know. Have you tested switching to the Google Messages app? That's what I use and I've never had an issue. 

This has been a problem for a year?! Have you done a restart very recently with this problem? Can you try the sim in another phone? I still don't know what a wifi text is.

Lemoguy

No, he uses the same messages app I use and since he's not with PM he said he turned off the wifi calling option. Because of this, when he sends texts I get them as normal texts, but when I send some back they go as wifi texts. 

I've restarted my phone many times over the course of ~1 year haha, but it hasn't changed anything. I'll try to send a ticket now, thanks for the insight!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Well that's interesting. And not RCS. Is your friend on RCS-only? But no this is not about wifi calling.

How about a good old fashioned power off restart. My default Samsung texting app doesn't show anything to do with RCS. Group messaging is about it. (off).

Lemoguy

I've been with PM for a few years now, but this problem only started a little under a year ago, maybe less even. I just ne er bothered with it but it became annoying recently. 

Lemoguy

Sorry I forgot to mention, I have a Samsung S21+. 

Lemoguy

I thought this might be it, but all the RCS settings options are faded out for me. I use the Samsung messaging app, not the blue one (forgot what it's called) so I'm assuming those settings only apply to that app. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Not really possible. Just tried.
If only WiFi is on then I get message 'Cannot send etc etc'.

ONLY when phone is ON (not airplane mode) then SMS will be sent no mater if WiFi is on or off. Please note I am using native Android texting app and not 3rd part app so SMS works as designed and expected.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

It sounds like you're both using RCS. You can disable this on your phone in your SMS app settings. Or your friend can. But it provides good benefit. It is sort of like iMessage, but open source. 

Screenshot_20230719-113143.png

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like you have an iphone. In imessage, turn on send as sms and send as mms. You should be able to do standard sms texting to an Android phone without wifi or cell data. Is it also possible that that Android user was previously an iphone user.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Lemoguy  Did your previous carrier have it and you recently joined PM as you know PM doesn’t support wifi calling and get it sounds like it still on in options somehow . Maybe get support to have a look at it for you see what they can do 

message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.