cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM & Iphone

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello People,

Already ordered the PM Sim card and now waiting for it to arrive so that I can become a member of PM 🐵

I just wanted to check if anyone else on an Iphone (Iphone 6) can confirm if the PM works flawlessly on an Iphone. I extensively use Imessages, Face time etc.

So wanted to confirm if Imessage is activated on both the cellphone no. and apple id ? Some networks like mobilicity only allow activation on apple id and not the cellphone no.

Lemme know.

Cheers !

17 REPLIES 17

neo911

hahaha..that was a good early morning laugh for me. 🐵 :oD

lmgtfy is great. thanks @srlawren

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@daredogg ouch, my eye!  🙂 

Sorry, I couldn't resist the LMGTFY.  But yes, @XJin's reply was more helpful than mine.  Cheers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Uhhh, what's a google?

*ahem* I figured there were some "experts" here who could answer the question before I went out and asked the world. Smaller community or the world... I chose the community.

Thanks @XJin for answering my question (without judgment) *pokes @srlawren (in the eye)* 

Robot LOL

srlawren

@daredogg pardon the sarcasm, and I mean no offense, but...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+volte%3F

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+wi-fi+calling%3F

🙂

Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

XJin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

VoWiFi lets you make call using wifi with you number, it comes in handy when you have bad reception and good wifi signal.

VoLTE gives you clearer calling sound. Also it has the ability to take over VoWiFi calls, instead of dropping it when we don't have VoLTE technology and left the WiFi area.

i don't think they are gimmicks. Also they really have some benefit for users. Al least I enjoyed these features and use them everyday when I was with Rogers.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

I'm commenting on this month-old thread...

Can someone explain what VoWifi and VoLTE are? This is the first I've heard of these technologies, so I am curious about them. Someone had mentioned it could be used as a marketing gimmick with no real benefit to the users. Someone, anyone?!  Thanks!

rodjames

It sure does!

srlawren

Sorry @neo911 for some reason I thought you were coming in from Rogers.  Wind should be straightforward also.  And I think you will be happy with the network quality once you make the move!  🙂

neo911

@srlawren i will be porting from wind.. so i guess thats straightforward too

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Where are you going out of range?  PM/Telus network coverage is pretty thick, not many holes, and if you do go out of voice range you'll also go out of data range, and WiFi has much less range than cellular frequencies.

Perhaps I don't really understand the tech, but it seems to me more like a marketing gimmick than a meaningful feature, theoretically useful but never actually applied in practice.

In any case, Public Mobile uses the Telus network.  If the Telus hardware supports it, then so does PM, no?

XJin

Okay, if they decided to support VoWifi as Telus will do, they better support VoLTE as the same time.

Otherwise there will be problem, I was with Rogers and they first supported VoWifi w/o VoLTE, phone call initiated on Wifi will drop if wifi is disconnected, which means if I call someone when I have wifi I can't go out of the range or my call will be droped. Only VoLTE will be able to continue the VoWifi call seamlessly.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile gives you unlimited Talk and HD Voice.  With options for unlimited long distance talk across Canada/USA.  And very affordable international long distance add-ons.

I don't understand why you would ever need to use VoLTE.

XJin

@srlawren agree, I remembered I need to remove all the dashes (-) in my account number provided by Rogers statement in order for it to be accepted in PM system.

srlawren

@neo911 porting from another mainstream carrier (Rogers in your case) is typically quite quick, typically a matter of minutes but could be a few hours.  On the other hand, sometimes the port will experience issues (rare, but it happens) that may cause a further delay.  Be careful when entering your Rogers info for the port request and you should be okay.   

XJin

Yes I agree VoWiFi is useful when in buildings.

The porting process took me about 10 mins to put in info(not a lot info, just the website crashed on me, seems PM doesn't like Safari), after i entered my old number and my name, click submit, waited about 30 sec and it let me choose plans ang pay for them, then it says my number is ported.

Then I inset PM SIM into my phone, first there was only 3G signal for about several minutes, I did a reboot and switch off/on LTE, then I got LTE signal. I tested in/out call and text, everything was good. Although I only received the confirmation text of successul porting after about 30 mins, seems they were doing some tough up in the background.

Please check your message, I sent you a PM.

neo911

Thanks @XJin for the detailed reply.

I look forward to joining PM. Great to hear speeds are better than Rogers.

Even I had inquired about VoWifi but the feedback I got from the community was Telus has not yet implemented it. So keeping fingers crossed for it.

Have used VoWifi in U.S. and its great functionality specially in office buildings.

How long did it take for you to port to PM ? Should I do it on a weekend or in the evening to avoid any downtime of my cellphone no. ?

Cheers !

XJin

I'm using iPhone 6 Plus.

I joined PM 2 days ago and everything is perfect! iMessage and FaceTime activation(both phone #and apple id) stay unharmed during the porting process and worked as normal as I was with Rogers past years. Also PM's LTE is super fast, even faster than Rogers in my area and the reception is good, too.

2 differences I noticed PM is lack of is the VoLTE and VoWiFi which I was able to use with Rogers, seems the issue is Telus has not yet support these functions at my area. But these does not matter as I don't use them anyways.

Also there was several minutes delay of LTE signal with I first activated my SIM, but afterwards ther's no delay even after reboot, turn on/off airplane mode.

Need Help? Let's chat.