cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged for going over data usage, but phone says I haven't even used 1 of my 4 GB

AUserHasNoName
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Edit : turns out they didn't overcharge me but still confused how PM got 5.6 GB used.

Edit 2 : PM suddenly went down to the right amount of data usage...

I got charged extra for apparently going over my data limit, I have 4GB plus 1GB Promo (It didn't use the Promo data for some reason) and it claims on the public mobile site that I used 5.6 GB of data last month, I go onto my phone and check data usage for the past month and it says I used a total of 491mb for data, I'm stuck at home right now so obviously I don't leave home much to use data and my phone is set to prefer Wifi usage. So what gives? Why was I overcharged? And why did the 1GB promo not even get used to help save me from being overcharged?

4 REPLIES 4

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AUserHasNoName 

I can understand your frustration with this. One way your phone uses data even when you are connected to Wi-Fi is the Wi-Fi assist feature. You can disable it by going to Go to settings > cellular or settings > mobile data, then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist to off. Public mobile’s account page does go down from time to time but as long as you have auto-pay enabled and your credit card is valid and not expiring in a month or so you will be fine. With this prepaid service, you will have the peace of mind knowing you will never be overcharged. Billing cycles are also every 30 days.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@AUserHasNoName wrote:

Edit : turns out they didn't overcharge me but still confused how PM got 5.6 GB used.

Edit 2 : PM suddenly went down to the right amount of data usage...

I got charged extra for apparently going over my data limit, I have 4GB plus 1GB Promo (It didn't use the Promo data for some reason) and it claims on the public mobile site that I used 5.6 GB of data last month, I go onto my phone and check data usage for the past month and it says I used a total of 491mb for data, I'm stuck at home right now so obviously I don't leave home much to use data and my phone is set to prefer Wifi usage. So what gives? Why was I overcharged? And why did the 1GB promo not even get used to help save me from being overcharged?

You didn't get charged for the data. There are no set overage charges for data, or anything else. If you got charged more, it's for something else. Maybe a discount ended, or maybe some people you referred cancelled. Do you pay for an account of a family member too?

@AUserHasNoName 

Sounds like you just went thru your renewal. Seems like there was a slight glitch when your plan data reset. Your data tracker reset in your phone on time but your account's plan data did not and for some reason ran over or at least counted new plan data as old. It seems to have benefited you by giving you extra plan data and left your promo data alone. (Does it still say 1024/1024 beside It?) Since you won't get charged anything extra its an advantage but i would keep an eye on your data near the end of your cycle and see if you start using promo data early (with 491mb remaining.)

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@AUserHasNoName Worth noting that you will never be charged or overcharged for overages because you pay in advance. Once what you have paid for runs out you are off the hook. It should stop but if for some bizarre reason it keeps going it is not your problem. You pay first. There is no topping up at the end of the period to make up for overages.

Need Help? Let's chat.