cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over charged Taxes

bill_1974
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

Originally, I set up my account in Montreal, back in 2017... Shortly after that, in February of 2018, I moved to Calgary, AB. I just realized that I have been charged Quebec HST along with GST on all my bills for the past 5 years despite having changed my address on my Public mobile Account 5 years ago!

I do not agree with this and would like to ask for help as to whom I need to communicate with to resolve this "over taxation" issue.

Thank you in advance,

Bill 

@accounting 

21 REPLIES 21

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Well then I guess I'm just special then.....membership has its privileges!!

@maximum_gato wrote:

@computergeek541 

Did I mention koodo's postpaid system? And pm does not have postpaid accounts. But if you meant prepaid then I know for a fact you can activate a Quebec promotion choosing a Quebec phone # with public mobile. I can't speak for koodo accounts as I have never activated one.

I'm only mentioning the Koodo postpaid system because choosing a Quebec phone number was a long standing way that people were able to get plans meant only for customers in Quebec. That doesn't work at Public Mobile.  Simply choosing a Quebec phone number doesn't enable a promotion meant for customers in Quebec. I don't doubt that there are ways to unlock regional promotions here, but that just choosing a different province's phone number doesn't do it.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Did I mention koodo's postpaid system? And pm does not have postpaid accounts. But if you meant prepaid then I know for a fact you can activate a Quebec promotion choosing a Quebec phone # with public mobile. I can't speak for koodo accounts as I have never activated one.

@maximum_gato wrote:

With a Quebec phone number you pay higher taxes but it avails you to take advantage of Quebec only promotions like the recent 50gb for $50 promo (as an example although it was for new activations there have been Quebec only deals available to existing customers as well.)

Simply choosing a Quebec phone number doesn't allow customers (or new customers in the case of the above promotion) to take advantage of regional offers specific to Quebec. Public Mobile's and Koodo's postpaid system operate differently.  

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@bill_1974 

With a Quebec phone number you pay higher taxes but it avails you to take advantage of Quebec only promotions like the recent 50gb for $50 promo (as an example although it was for new activations there have been Quebec only deals available to existing customers as well.)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Quebec-50-for-50gb-plan/td-p/925851

Purchasing vouchers is a viable option. If purchased at London drugs they qualify for their LD Extras loyalty program. The old program had a much better redemption rate (kind of like how public points is less rewarding than $$ rewards) but still they are the only loyalty program that allows earning and redeeming on mobile top ups and earning on the redemption. Combined with a cash back or points earning credit card on grocery/drugstore purchases can earn back up to 5% on your voucher purchases.

@bill_1974 since you have been using the QC number for some time and you likely don't want to change number, get vouchers, it is easy and saving you money 🙂

@bill_1974 

excellent feedback. 👍

The customer support agent gave you the correct information.

I would be surprised if your accountant is able to manipulate the provincial tax structures in such a way as to legitimately get you a tax credit, but there’s no harm in them putting their professional training on the line in trying.

Best of luck!

bill_1974

@HALIMACS @Dunkman @softech 

CS basically said that they are not required by law to inform PM clients of the specific taxation rates upon change of residency within Canada...only if the client request the info directly. I spoke to my accountant, and I should be able to claim the taxes back. Moving forward with my PM payments, my choices are to either change my number to an Alberta based area code or use PM vouchers bought in Alberta to load my account. 

Thank you to all that chimed in on this and helped me get to the bottom of this.

To all, have a great day!!!

@bill_1974 

they may do something just to make the issue ‘go away’, (good luck) but they’ll never change the practice.

It’s based on tax laws – mobile service providers in Canada charges the tax upon which jurisdiction in which the area code is registered.

So, if you get a different result, it’s a one off.

bill_1974

Thank you @Dunkman !!!

Appreciate your guidance and I will definitely share the outcome!

Kind regards,

Bill 

@bill_1974 Prepaid provider do not validate addresses. The system is set to charge based on area code location.

it is unfortunate in your situation.  I doubt that PM can do much but you can try to open ticket with PM support and hope for the best 

@bill_1974 

You would need to contact customer service agent by submitting a ticket.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help

Chat with Simon to submit a service ticket.

However, from past experience with other customers, Public mobile policy is to charge the taxes according to the area code of your mobile phone number. See what the CSA says and let us know what happens.  

bill_1974

@HALIMACS 

Agree to disagree... A simple Proof of Residence via your driver's license would suffice to regulate this issue. 

How is it fair when I am paying taxes to a province I do not reside in?

bill_1974

@dust2dust 

Let's get this straight...Not looking for empathy! Looking for guidance as to whom (department) I should contact within Public Mobile organization. Furthermore, you assume I was aware... set up auto-payments back then and haven't look back at it, as the auto-pay option is marketed: " set it and forget it!" Regardless of the above, Provincial taxation laws, as location of point-of -sale supersedes Public Mobile policy. Would you be so kind as to not deviate from the question, which is clearly: "Who do I contact for a possible resolution to this overcharge?" I do not expect the community to resolve this overcharge, simply looking for the right persons to contact. 

Thank you 🙂

You’re welcome, @bill_1974 !

However, we will have to agree to disagree that it is “over taxation”;  it is not.

The number is assigned to a taxation district for which the number is assigned.  

Your physical location makes no difference.

Think of it this way … if all it took for every public mobile customer to pay the Alberta tax rate is that they simply update their address on their self-serve to Alberta, every single public mobile customer would put Alberta in their address field.

The mobile service industry needs to base its taxation on the province of origin for the assigned number.

It is the fairest way to do it.

I find myself thinking of very little sympathy here. 5 years later!? Why wouldn't you have asked this way back then? You made the community account back then. You knew of its existence for which you could have asked.

You would also have been getting rewards all this time (unless you recently switched to points) which would reduce the charge going to the card.

bill_1974

Hi @HALIMACS 

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

I will look at purchasing vouchers moving forward, although I still would like to pursue rectifying the "over-taxation" on my account. It is not an insignificant amount, as it has been 5 years: 61 months x $3.20 = $195.20 !!!

Looking for a path to recourse on this matter, any advice as to whom to contact?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@bill_1974 

your area code still a PQ number ? That's why.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bill_1974 

sorry, tax are based on area code location and not the actual address on My Account.  Your address on My Account is more for PM's record

To save the tax, you have two choices

1. change the phone number to an AB phone number
  2.  Buy vouchers from local store and then load vouchers to your My Account. 
    Tax will be charged where you buy it, so if you buy in AB, the tax will be on AB's rate and you then save the tax and can keep your QC phone number

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@bill_1974 

your tax rate is determined by the phone number location, not your physical location.

In order to get the tax rate for Alberta, you  would need to switch your number to an Alberta based number.

Adding:  if you want a work around, purchase a whole bunch of payment vouchers in Alberta and load them onto the account every few months, and that way you will gain the tax saving due to the purchase price of the vouchers in Alberta tax rates.

Need Help? Let's chat.