cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Province Calling Question

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey all, question regarding calling when I have unlimited Province-wide calling. My girlfriend is out of the province at the moment and I've still been able to call her, so does that mean I can always still call numbers from my province, regardless of whether or not they're currently in that province?

And part 2; if I leave the province and theoretically go to the province she is in, would I be able to still call her since both our numbers are originally from the same province? Or will I need to get a long-distance add-on or something as soon as I leave my home province for a bit?

Thank for any help!

5 REPLIES 5

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker I was simply stating people's experiences with provincial calling nothing more. I also did say that it is a bug that could be fixed at any time.

For some people it might be worth the gamble and it's easy to buy the add-on via 611or self serve if needed.

@mimmo, the official PM stance on incoming calls on province wide, outside of your home province, without a long distance plan is, NO calls will be received.  Whether others have experienced something different, and still others confirm it, PM has not announced that this is how it works.

Until PM changes what they state, no one should expect out of Home province incoming calls on a province wide plan without long fis tance.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It has been reported and confirmed that you can receive calls on provincial calling plans while out of your home province without the long distance add-on. 

How long this bug will remain unfixed or if it has been fixed is unknown.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @luke11992,  You can call anyone with a phone number that is in the same province that you are currently located in.  So, regardless of your number, if you are in BC, you can call anyone with a BC phone number.  If you are in QC, you can call anyone with a QC number.  However, since your GF is out of province she might be paying LD IF she doesn't have a canada wide plan. 

As for part 2, the answer is the same as above.  If you leave your home province, you can only make calls to the province you are currently in (unless you get a LD add on).  So, yes, if yeave your province and go to another province where your GF is, and her number is from your home province, you will not be able to call her without an add-on.

Hope that makes sense...

BTW, the Canada (and US) LD addon is quite inexpensive.   It's just $8 for 200 minutes, which do not expire.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

With province-wide calling, you can call the province that you are physically in, but you won't be able to call other provinces.  So if you are outside your home province, you won't be able to call numbers in your home province.

If you are calling someone else, it doesn't matter (for you) where they physically are, it only matters where their number is based.  In other words, if you are in Ontario, you can call an Ontario number, even if the person is physically in BC at the time.

Need Help? Let's chat.