cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneplus 3T mobile network issue

kiwi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an unlocked Oneplus 3T with Android 8.0.0 and OxygenOS 5.0.1.

I've just activated my Public Mobile plan last week, and the plan includes 3G mobile data.

Both willmyphonework.net and IMEI check showed that my device is compatible with Public Mobile network.

I'm located at Kitchener Waterloo, and the service is fine here, it's just that mobile network never connected even though it'll say H+ or 4G or 4G+ in the status bar.

I've tried methods like reinserting the sim, rebooting the phone, turn on and off WiFi and airplane mode, but none of them worked. I didn't have data with my previous carrier so I don't know what's wrong. Does anyone know what could be the problem here?

UPDATE: It turns out that in Settings -> Data usage -> 3 dots on top right -> Data usage control, all my apps were set to WiFi only (ie. they aren't allowed to use mobile data). Thanks for all your help though.

10 REPLIES 10

kiwi

Sorry to see you still thinking about this problem, I've resolved it and selected your initial reply as the solution.

For anyone who hasn't read the UPDATE section in the post, there was a setting (pretty hidden) that forbid all of my apps to use mobile network, hence why it looks like the phone is connected but non of the apps work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I found this in the one plus forums.  There are some data settings worth checking out.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/solved-google-chrome-not-working-on-mobile-data.579212/

@stonechucker wrote:

Last week I was experiencing similar symptons on my device.  I was able to get it working by turning on airplane mode, then waiting a few seconds, and turning it off.

It happened for a few days, but hasn't returned this week.

Note, my work place isn't cellular friendly, and this is where I was experiencing the issues.

Signal strength doesn't look like an issue here.  The status bar is showing full bar.  I am still totally baffled by this.

Last week I was experiencing similar symptons on my device.  I was able to get it working by turning on airplane mode, then waiting a few seconds, and turning it off.

It happened for a few days, but hasn't returned this week.

Note, my work place isn't cellular friendly, and this is where I was experiencing the issues.

@kiwi wrote:

By "mobile network never connected", I mean that no app could connect to the network when there is no wifi (eg. browsing googe.ca on chrome).

I've checked my APN settings and they do match with the values on https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1660_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_oneplus_3t.php

Here is a screenshot of trying to use chrome with only mobile network:

op4.jpg

Based on the H+ icon in the status bar, the phone has a proper network connection.  Can you go into the SIM status tab and confirm that the cellular network state is connected and cellular network type is H+?  I am going to have to do a bit more head scratching to figure out why apps are not getting a data connection when the phone is properly connected to the network. 

kiwi

By "mobile network never connected", I mean that no app could connect to the network when there is no wifi (eg. browsing googe.ca on chrome).

I've checked my APN settings and they do match with the values on https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settings/1660_15_public_mobile_apn_settings_for_oneplus_3t.php

Here is a screenshot of trying to use chrome with only mobile network:

op4.jpg

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am APN only affects data though.  If the entire network isn't connecting, that would be unrelated.  @kiwi are you able to make calls and/or send texts?  Is it only data that's not working, or nothing is working?  Is your OP3T a North American version or one of the overseas (Asia, Europe, China) versions?  The North American version is 100% compatible, while the international models may only get you 3G data (HSPA+) data, but all should support the 850MHz + 1900MHz 3G frequencies required for talk,text,3G data.

@srlawren, you are absolutely correct about band compatibility.  I assumed that the issue was only data related.  If there is no network connection, then it is a completely different problem.  It was mentioned that the status bar showed H+, 4G, 4G+.  These icons don't show up actually if the mobile network is disconnected. 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@kiwi

Sounds like you're saying that data isn't working (but voice and SMS are ok). Is that right? If so, it's likely your APN settings as mentioned above.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am APN only affects data though.  If the entire network isn't connecting, that would be unrelated.  @kiwi are you able to make calls and/or send texts?  Is it only data that's not working, or nothing is working?  Is your OP3T a North American version or one of the overseas (Asia, Europe, China) versions?  The North American version is 100% compatible, while the international models may only get you 3G data (HSPA+) data, but all should support the 850MHz + 1900MHz 3G frequencies required for talk,text,3G data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Well this is really strange.  I have a colleage that sits all of 10 m from my office and he has exactly the same phone running the same software and using this service.  He has no issues whatsoever.

I need to get a little more detail on what is meant by "mobile network never connected".  I take it the SIM status tab says cellular network state is disconnected?  This state can happen if the APN is incorrect or if wifi is on and connected.  I assume it definitely isn't the latter.  This is the latest post from one of the community moderators on setting up the APN on a phone.  Check to make sure the APN has been set correctly.  Then the obvious, make sure mobile data is turned on and that any usage limits if set are not exceeded.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

Need Help? Let's chat.