cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Plans -- is the data LTE or 3G?!

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Hey Community... it's been awhile since I checked in, but I have some questions about possibly upgrading from my existing plan.

I originally switched to PM in August 2016 and set up a $111 90-day plan with 3GB, provincial calling, international texting. Plan has been great, but I see there may be some cheaper options. I was wondering...

1) Does my existing plan come with 3GB of LTE or 3G data?

2) Anyone who's switched to 3G... what's your experience been like?

3) Are the 90 day plans still worthwhile? I don't see any savings like there was when I originally switched ($15 off if you chose a 90 day plan versus 30 days).

Thanks everyone... first one to answer my questions, earns a prize! Robot LOL

8 REPLIES 8

Lexi89
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

And now theirs been so many updates since the beginning and soany new Pokemon have been added that I feel old bec i have no idea who they are lol. I just know the classic ones. From playing on Nintendo gameboy and such. The last one I played was Pokemon crystal I believe and had bought a new Nintendo ds just so I could play it lol. 

Lexi89

I thought so too but nope mine was a great place to catch some too. And now where I live I can reach a gym from my deck. So I figured why not, it kills some time while I have a smoke and relax during my sons nap or after bedtime. It was funny actually bec I used to play it when it first came out till I delivered my son and then stopped and uninstalled it. And then when I moved here my one friend who still plays told me about the gym so I figured why not and downloaded it again. And when I looked I had eggs waiting to hatch still from Nov 2016 which was just before I had my son and when I had decided to uninstall it lol. 

@Lexi89 I remember... what two years ago when it was launched... that every single person in the park had their eyes fixed on their phones hunting pokemons. Walking the dog (or your kids)... great excuse to play!  Where I live, the main cemetery was the best place to find pokemons.  Drive up and down the rows... some people thought it was disrespectful, but my understanding was that those "sacred" places were suppose to be excluded.

Lexi89

No problem, love to help out where I can even if it's just by telling someone my experience and possibly what they would expect to experience as well of in the same boat. 🙂 it's easier to prepare that way. Going in blind cam be fun in certain situations and a pain in others. This is one of those times you eoudnt mind a little heads up lol and yeah Pokemon go is still here and actually more updated with tasks and newer Pokemon. Lol it helps me kill time at night when having a smoke or my son is napping. That doesn't require alot of data and is enjoyable. 

Thanks @computergeek541 for the info. Congratulations! You win the prize... of having your reply marked as the solution! Robot Happy 

I agree, if there's no monetary benefit to doing a 90 day plan, there's little point, except for what Luddite said... If you want more control as to when you use your data (more this month, less next), go for the 90 days.

Thanks for the link @Luddite... it's been awhile since I'm been here that I've lost my bearings. I may also drop to the 3G price structure as I'm at home most of the time, and if I'm streaming, I'm using my desktop. $30 per month for 500 MB data and now Canada-wide calling, sounds good to me.

Thanks @Lexi89 for sharing your experience... it's always good to hear from others before making a switch. I also geek out at times with Boom Beach and Clash Royale, and they don't take much data. Pokemon Go... that still exists?! Robot wink

Lexi89

Hey, so I switched from the 42 plan with 1GB LTE Data to pretty much the same except for now I have 2 and half GB data on 3G. 

Honestly for what I use it for like Facebook, some YouTube videos and am a nerd and play Pokemon Go I've maybe noticed a slight delay when loading but only small and doesn't last long. Now if I was to use Netflix on my dad I can notice a bigger difference there with the picture not crystal clear but I hardly use my data for that and just use wifi. So if you dint require great graphics on your plan then you should have no issues trying the 3G over LTE and hey if u don't like it you can always go back to the plan that offers LTE. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

2. I switched; fine for me but I stream nothing. Info here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Share-your-3G-plan-experiences-here-laten...

3. No cost saving on 3G, but you gain the flexibility to use the data anyway that suits you over 90 days. If you decide to try 3G be sure to pick Canada wide calling as it's the same price as provincial. 

Remember, that once you move from your current plan you cannot go back to it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Plans from 2016 are all full LTE speed.  With the current pricing, especially for the 3g plans, I wouldn't bother with a 90 day plan, but that's just my opinion.

Need Help? Let's chat.