cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old $15 Plan vs New $15 Plan... Who upgraded? Is it an upgrade?

Frank_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's no secret that with the elimination of the old rewards system a lot of people downgraded plans. I did that with all my plans so I'm actually cheaper than with the old rewards system.

That said my daughter had the 250mb $15 plan and was always complaining about the 100 minute call limit. She said the 250 mb data was useless because the phone would use that up in updates so she is accustomed to hooking into wifi.

As soon as the $15 plan was changed to unlimited calling with no data we changed and she is happy. 

So my question is....

Is this plan swapping 250mb of data for unlimited minutes an upgrade or downgrade?

We consider it an upgrade for my daughter because the 250mb of data was always gone in a few hours unless she always turned off data so it was virtually like having none anyways. Now she can talk and text her way into oblivion with no limits.

13 REPLIES 13

anotheran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Downgrade for us as the data was great for a pinch. But for my mother in law where its used as a home phone, it's an upgrade. 

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jess31 wrote:

Downgrade for me. I hardly ever call anyone and it was unlimited incoming calls so if it was going to be a long call I just made sure the other person called me.

I use the data to check emails, use maps, order food while I am out so disapointed that is gone. I turn data saver on so don't have to worry about phone updating or anything like that.

But Jess, can't you stay on the version you prefer? Did I misunderstand your comment? I feel like you're saying you've had to switch to this new $15 plan with 0 data, as though the old one no longer exists. But it does still exist for those already subscribed to it, as long as you don't change at some point, right?

Jess31

Downgrade for me. I hardly ever call anyone and it was unlimited incoming calls so if it was going to be a long call I just made sure the other person called me.

I use the data to check emails, use maps, order food while I am out so disapointed that is gone. I turn data saver on so don't have to worry about phone updating or anything like that.

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For anyone whose been with Public Mobile for years & has accumulated lots of gifted data & minutes, then the $15 plan, rich in features, is a really good opportunity to finally use up all of those gifts. In my case that's 1500 minutes of Long Distance calling & 6 GB of data. I don't anticipate burning through that data any time soon, as I never used the 2 GB per month my old plan provided. 

My old plan & this new one are virtually identical, with the exception of an improvement from 3G to 4G speed. With Legacy Rewards etc., I was paying $25 vs $15 per month beginning in May, a savings of $10 + tax per month. So for myself at least, it's kind of a downgrade to upgrade scenario. 

Stelawrat_0-1714435164069.png

epwand

I just changed to the $15 plan.  I don’t need the data. 

Frank_M

Yes, you got it 100% right

It's going to be a mix of 2 responses but since they dropped all data on the $15 plan moving forward I think the plan is great for all the kids that love to chat and text. The 15 bucks is a good deal for that.

I'll consider upgrading to a $20 number once they give at least 5gb of data. Patience is a virtue but right now the $21 plan for 3gb does not entice me. My girl does not care about the data so I have all the time in the world to wait for that.

As far as my other plans, they are going to be stuck on the $34 plan moving forward, I had x2 on the $40 and my personal one went as high as a $50 plan but without my rewards I backtracked those and cannot see myself upgrading them anytime soon. So for me, my prices have not gone up and if you wait for Black Friday deals you are bound to get even better deals.

hi @epwand you can try to ask support agent to see if they can help to make plan change for the $21 plan for 3GB, cheaper and more data

and you are going with the new $15?? make sure you understand there is no data at all on that plan

epwand

I am downgrading from the $25 plan to the new $15 plan.  I was getting only 1gb and truly don’t need it.  It was frustrating to see a cheaper plan than what I had with more data only for new customers.  I was about to switch and yesterday seen the new $15 plan that is better for my needs.  

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Apparently the system doesn’t like my responses due to it keeps removing them!

The new $15 plan would be a downgrade for me due to I barely make any outgoing calls but when I need to I use text now for free outgoing calls when connected to wifi plus I still have plenty of holiday long distance minutes.

The 250mb of data included in the $15 old plan is perfect for me due to I only need it for an emergency while away from home & to use during a power outage at home. If I was on the new $15 plan I would be stuck with no data for emergencies & I would never purchase a data add-on due to the fact they have a 30 day expiration which would expire before I would use it. 😞I don’t have the money to waste on that.

xiv

@Frank_M I use my data exactly as @Dunkman describes, and I usually finish my 30-day period with about 100MB still unused. So I'm in the opposite situation as your kids, and the 250MB data allocation is actually just right in my case since I use iMessage on my phone, which does use some data.

So as far as I am concerned, the new 15$ plan is a downgrade. So I will stick to my guns until the bitter end: I won't be changing plans no matter what, and I will keep forcing my phone to connect to 3G towers all the way until they stop running in my area.

ezl007

@Frank_M   It all depends.  My kid is texting a lot, never uses up the 100 minutes limit, so unlimited calling is not a factor.  The 500 bonus Canadian minutes have yet been touched, so are the 1000 minutes LD minutes. Removing data is a kind of downgrade. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Similar situation.  For my kids on the $15 plan, they used up the 250 mb within 1-2 days.  It was almost like having no data at all.  Having unlimited minutes is an upgrade for my case. 

However, other customers use the 250 mb data very efficiently and liked the older $15 plan.  For them, it will be a downgrade since the data add on these days only last 30 days. 

Need Help? Let's chat.