cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA Updates after coming from another carrier

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

With the Android 8.0 Oreo starting to roll out, I've been wondering how OTA updates would proceed for us Android Users with phone that came from other carriers?

I read this older thread from our community:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Updating-Android-OS-after-leaving-Rog...

... and I'm wondering if it still applies as we've moved to newer devices and newer OS.  Whose OS update schedule show I be paying attention to (Telus or Rogers)?   I know that our devices have 'markers' (for lack of a better term) which show which carriers our phones originally came from (if not purchased unlocked from the manufacturer) which may affect how/when we receive OTA updates.

My Situation: I have a Samsung S7 from Rogers and I'm running Android 7 Nougat.

Anyone with any insights, experiences or knowledge of how this works today?  Cheers.

9 REPLIES 9

Asian_sensation
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thought I might add a little bit more info on OS updates.

When a new OS verison comes out (like Oreo just did for android, and IOS11 for apple)  the only phones that will get the update (offically) will be phones straight from Google or Goole branded (Nexus and Pixels) and all Iphones that can support it (IOS was just released and anything from an Iphone 5s and up is elegable, the iphone 5 and lower will not get it due to the hardware) .

Now for Android, once the new OS version is released, it then goes to the OEM (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc) as they have to take the OS and work it and basically use the new OS as a base for thier softwear and then it will be sent to thier phones. 

Now some OEMs are much better with updates (longevety as well as how prompt they can release it to thier phones) and some OEMs are just horrible. 

Most of the cheaper "china" phones usually will never get updates. 

Now when the OEM is done with the firmware, they send it to the carriers and the carriers go threw it and tweek it or add things (bloatwear or things like VOLTE) 

Then the carrier will OTA it. 

If you bought an unlocked (from the actaul OEM) phone, lets say a Note 8 straight from Samsung or on-line, you will get the update straight from the OEM and wont have to wait for a carrier roll out. This is why unlocked internationla versions of phones are the first to get updates rather than carrier locked ones .

There is also custom roms and such, but im too tired to get into that, lol.

If you do wanna know more, Id suggest joining the XDA devs forum. 

Ive been there for well over 10 years and have learned a ton on there.

Asian_sensation
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

updates will roll out as long as there is an update to be rolled out.

If its a carrier update (ie if you got a Rogers locked phone and unlocked it) and the update has nothing to do with the OS (ie Android) you wont get the update (as its based on the carrier sim in the phone). 

Now if its an android update (ie new version of the OS or a security patch) then no matter what you will get the update (as long as you have an interenet connection)

As far as flashing fimware, that can be a bit of a pickle depending on how tech savy you are.

Also note, if you are rooted you WILL NOT be able to get OTA (Over The Air Updates which include OS and security)

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I usually keep an eye on the below site as well for manual Samsung firmware updates.

http://samsung-updates.com/latest-firmware/

just be paitent with the updates is my best insight. Samsung is painfully slow when it comes to updating to the newer versions of android 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Taekgun,

I have a Rogers branded LG G5.  Software updates are coming through as they are released without issues.  Updates to Nougat came according to Rogers schedule.  I was keen and looking forward to the updates so I followed the news.  

I am fairly sure that this is how it will be for you as well.  

Crosserson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Taekgun wrote:

I do have the latest update from Rogers, but I got it prior to coming to PM.  Just trying to anticpate what may happen when the next one rolls out in Canada.  I know about flashing the OS with Odin, but I'm more curious if an update from Rogers would still come through or not, would it revert to Telus, etc....

The update will come from Telus after Samsung. 

Crosserson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Taekgun wrote:

With the Android 8.0 Oreo starting to roll out, I've been wondering how OTA updates would proceed for us Android Users with phone that came from other carriers?

I read this older thread from our community:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Updating-Android-OS-after-leaving-Rog...

... and I'm wondering if it still applies as we've moved to newer devices and newer OS.  Whose OS update schedule show I be paying attention to (Telus or Rogers)?   I know that our devices have 'markers' (for lack of a better term) which show which carriers our phones originally came from (if not purchased unlocked from the manufacturer) which may affect how/when we receive OTA updates.

My Situation: I have a Samsung S7 from Rogers and I'm running Android 7 Nougat.

Anyone with any insights, experiences or knowledge of how this works today?  Cheers.

This is one of the benefits of having a Nexus or Pixel phone. You will get the Oreo update fairly quick directly from Google. 

Samsung has to "skin" their Android version and can take months for them to complete this.  When Samsung finally pushes out the update you will still have to wait for your carrier to push it to your phone. Six months is not unheard of. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I do have the latest update from Rogers, but I got it prior to coming to PM.  Just trying to anticpate what may happen when the next one rolls out in Canada.  I know about flashing the OS with Odin, but I'm more curious if an update from Rogers would still come through or not, would it revert to Telus, etc....

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are not able to get ota updates from Rogers, you can still try to manually flash the update using Samsung Odin or Samsung smart switch.

Since Bell, Telus, and Rogers are the same model number, you could also try to change the csc in the phone to Telus which will replace Rogers apps with Telus apps.

Need Help? Let's chat.