cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving texts or some app notifications when on WiFi

LeviD6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Ever since getting a new phone (Galaxy S23 FE) I've noticed that I often will not receive text messages or some other app messages (such as snapchat, outlook) when I'm connected to a WiFi network.  As soon as I disconnect, everything comes in.

This happens on multiple WiFi networks (home and school), and nobody else has this issue at home or school, so it's not the WiFi network having connectivity issues.  It's something odd with the phone.  Is there something that needs to be reset with my SIM card after moving to a new phone?  Some kind of phone setting I'm missing that might cause this?  Unfortunately I have now used up all my mobile data for the month, as I keep having to disconnect from WiFi, and then sometimes I forget to turn it back on, and use up all my mobile data.  

Thanks!

Levi 

6 REPLIES 6

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

SMS/MMS does not work on WiFi. This is delivered through mobile service only.

Unless you use some 3rd party SMS/MMS but then that is app (your) issue.
My SMS works perfectly when I am connected to PM network. Nothing to do with WiFi.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@LeviD6 

some research for you....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

The issue in that announcement thread relates to older devices that could possibly have an older out of date APN setting saved in the configuration. The Samsung Galaxy S23FE is a current model and shouldn't need to have this setting changed for MMS use.  Also, Outlook and Snapchat aren't examples of apps that use MMS services.

@LeviD6 wrote:

Thanks.  I do not think that applies in my case.   I've had this issue for several months, and according to that article it only took effect yesterday (Feb 14).   Also, it's a new model device, so everything is up-to-date.  Thanks.

Your problem has nothing to do with APN settings.  Try this, go to the WiFi settings on your phone, select the SSID for your WiFi, click on the gear settings and check the network usage setting.  Make sure it is not on treat as metered.  It should be on detect automatically and if that does not work, try treat as unmetered.  Detect automatically uses heuristics to determine whether a WiFi connection is metered or not and if there misinterpretation made, the connection can go into metered state.  You don't want WiFi to be running on the metered state.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Until you figure it out,  you can put on data reminder on your phone so you can know how data you have left. 

I usually put it at 50%, reminder again at 75% that way you never get shocked when it's done.

LeviD6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.  I do not think that applies in my case.   I've had this issue for several months, and according to that article it only took effect yesterday (Feb 14).   Also, it's a new model device, so everything is up-to-date.  Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.