cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving Text Messages

RexBuck
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Text messages from a number of sources are not being received by me.  What to do?

12 REPLIES 12

@dlr33- Yup, welcome to Apples own little universe. Thanks for the update.

dlr33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Replying to myself:  the missing ‘country code’ issue seems to be a red herring.  Apple seems to be the real culprit in our case.  If one iPhone is connected to the internet iMessages becomes the text vehicle and its output will only be received by another iPhone which is also connected to the internet.  The setting ‘send as SMS if iMessages is not available’ does NOT mean the text will be sent if the receiving iPhone is not on the internet.  The simple solution is to turn off iMessages if you know anyone else in the world who has a phone which is not an Apple product or has an Apple product which might occasionally be in the wild with its cellular data turned off. 

@dlr33- Interesting. I wonder if imessage number registration cares about the 1. I'm not sure the + would have made a difference but worth testing without. @CountyDownIeUk ?

dlr33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife’s iPhone (Public Mobile) could send my iPhone (Fido) text messages but hers would not receive my replies unless the phone was connected to the interweb, when presumably ‘iMessage’ took over.  I found that her setting for Messages had the number format “+1(area code)nnn-nnnn” while the contact entry I had for her did not include the “+1”.  Messages via SMS started working without internet access after I updated my contact entry for her to include the country code.  YMMV.

HI @RexBuck   Glad it is resolved. Yes, the server will keep your text for 5 days if it is underivable.  

RexBuck

I did open a ticket with Customer Support Agent and after a while the problem seemed to be resolved with a dump of 15 texts that were backed up.  

Thanks for all the replies.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RexBuck  - are you still experiencing these issues today? There seems to have been something happening with regards to texts. But did you say you were getting texts from unknown callers. And this is something new? That is a bit odd.

Are you recently activated with Public Mobile?

Can you try to perform a reset of the device's network settings and see if that helps.

If issues are persisting after suggestions, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RexBuck  since when? just today? many posts with different issue today.  Try your sim on another phone.

RexBuck

Android.  Lots of texts coming in from known and unknown callers until now.  Have not touched my settings.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

iPhone or android?  More details would be helpful. Did you check your settings?  Do you have unknown callers blocked?  

RexBuck

Thanks hairbag . . . no, doesn't help.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Try cycling Airplane mode On...then OFF. Does that help ?

Need Help? Let's chat.