cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting any cellular connection. When making call getting 'not registered on network'.

newCellUser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New to Public Mobile, using a hand-me-down phone (from sister) that was used on Telus before. I have reset the phone, put in the Public Mobile SIM, activated the phone online as per the SIM card instructions. It has been well over an hour now, and I am still not getting any cellular connection.

Does the error, 'not registered on network' mean that the phone is locked and needs to be unlocked? Or does it normally take longer for the SIM card to activate? As well, I am using a NEW cell number and have not ported a number over...

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

newCellUser
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Wow, turns out it was my bad. Improperly inserted SIM. What a newbie mistake <hangs head in shame>. Was basing SIM insertion on later versions of SAMSUNG phones where the notched part is facing the slot as you slide in the SIM. On the very early J1 phones, the notched part faces away from the slot as you slide it in (with metal contacts down - at least I got that part correctly).

Thanks for the help, very appreciated.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try shutting down your phone then reboot.

If you still need assistance then submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@newCellUser 

Reseat the SIM card and reboot phone. Also try resetting network settings.

@newCellUser wrote:

New to Public Mobile, using a hand-me-down phone (from sister) that was used on Telus before. I have reset the phone, put in the Public Mobile SIM, activated the phone online as per the SIM card instructions. It has been well over an hour now, and I am still not getting any cellular connection.

Does the error, 'not registered on network' mean that the phone is locked and needs to be unlocked? Or does it normally take longer for the SIM card to activate? As well, I am using a NEW cell number and have not ported a number over...

Telus Mobility devices don't usually need to be unlocked to use them at Public Mobile.  Service should work immedaitely after activation. Sometimes, the service won't start if the working if the activation was performed with the SIM card in the device until the phone is restarted. If that doesn't work, this is probably a provisioning issue.   Open a ticket by going to:  https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@newCellUser wrote:

Thanks

Should work right away if all was done correctly. What kinda phone is it ? Was it a personal phone or corporate phone ?

Need Help? Let's chat.