cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 5G... any ideas?

Xenocat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,  

I just signed up for the 5g / 40 gig offer, and my phone only seems to be connecting at LTE speeds.  My phone is a 5g phone (Samsung Galaxy S21 5g) but I can't seem to link up at 5g.   

I'd welcome any input from those smarter than I to figure out why.  I'm in a 5g coverage area per the Public Mobile coverage map

15 REPLIES 15

Xenocat

I drove all over Windsor today and not once did it connect at 5g.  My speed tests haven't exceeded 37Mbps yet 😞

Xenocat

Thank you, ill try that

Xenocat

Adaptive Connectivity doesn't seem to be a thing on my phone.  (Search only reveals adaptive battery)

rikiz

Correct me if I'm wrong but you also have to be within a 5g modem for it to show 5g. When you are not it defaults to 4g. One thing you could try is to do an "internet speed test". This will show you what kind of speeds you're getting. If it's above 100mb/s then you are already on 5g even though your phone isn't showing it!

Hopefully this helps 🙂

99guy

When I turned off adaptive connectivity then shows 5G. I use a Pixel 7

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Xenocat 

• you can send a private message to an Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 10 PM EST

Xenocat

Ah, I dunno then.   I'm not sure what else I can try

Hollister

@Xenocat 

That text there is if you are already on a 3G or 4G plan with Public Mobile and are making a change to 5G.

Xenocat

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in there.  Is it true that it can take up to 2 days for 5G to start working?

Xenocat

rebooted phone, still at LTE

Hollister

@Xenocat 

Have you rebooted your phone? If not do that first.

Edit: Have you tried a speed test in several locations?

Xenocat

37 Mbps according to fast.com

Xenocat

No I dont believe so.  I just did the auto install thing and that was about it.  What do you think I should try?

Hollister

@Xenocat 

Edit: Have you tried resetting network settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.