Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to send or receive calls

PortMcNeill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in Yuma Arizona.   Data is working but talk, send calls not working

21 REPLIES 21

@computergeek541  "The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G does work on VoLTE at Public Mobile, but I have only seen this if it is a Telus version.  I've also seen an S20 FE 50 from Verizon not work on VoLTE at Public Mobile."

Indeed, I have seen this complaint with other providers (other than Telus), that certain otherwise VoLTE capable phones will get VoLTE only if they are that carrier's model of the phone.  But then other people will say their non-carrier phone will get VoLTE so it seems very hit and miss everywhere.  Even more difficult to know with a mostly BYOD carrier like PM.  I had a VoLTE capable Android with another provider that appeared to be getting VoLTE but was later dropped from it even though still enabled on the phone, and it was purchased from that carrier.

It would be a good idea if the PM VoLTE FAQ page was more clear on the requirement for VoLTE for more consistent US Roaming instead of saying "If there is no VoLTE coverage or if customers don’t have a VoLTE-Roaming enabled device, customers will continue roaming on the 3G/HSPA network" when there is essentially no longer any 3G in the States.  Having said that I don't know how many people would even read that before they set off.  Other carriers sent out warning notices that 3G was being dropped in the States to owners of 3G phones who might want US Roaming.  I don't know if PM did but that's probably easier said than done on PM anyway with all the different phones/models and people changing phones.

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@PortMcNeill   "Can you make it so I use a different carrier or add Volte to my account??"

Your phone is not on the VoLTE list I gave you a link to so it doesn't look like PM will enable VoLTE on that phone.  Your only carrier options in the USA with PM roaming are AT&T and T-Mobile and you would have to select and try those in turn on your phone.  If you want to take this up with customer service, because this forum is just for customers like you so we can't actually do anything but make suggestions, send a private message to an agent by using the link below and then monitor your inbox here in the community for a reply.  Keep an eye on the envelope icon top right or click on your avatar and select "messages" and a customer service agent will reply to you by private message there

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G does work on VoLTE at Public Mobile, but I have only seen this if it is a Telus version.  I've also seen an S20 FE 50 from Verizon not work on VoLTE at Public Mobile.

The list that Public Mobile has provided is incomplete. 

@PortMcNeill   "Can you make it so I use a different carrier or add Volte to my account??"

Your phone is not on the VoLTE list I gave you a link to so it doesn't look like PM will enable VoLTE on that phone.  Your only carrier options in the USA with PM roaming are AT&T and T-Mobile and you would have to select and try those in turn on your phone.  If you want to take this up with customer service, because this forum is just for customers like you so we can't actually do anything but make suggestions, send a private message to an agent by using the link below and then monitor your inbox here in the community for a reply.  Keep an eye on the envelope icon top right or click on your avatar and select "messages" and a customer service agent will reply to you by private message there

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

PortMcNeill

Samsung S20 Fe 5G

PortMcNeill

Can you make it so I use a different carrier or add Volte to my account??

No one here can know. Wishful thinking might be that by the time 3G/UMTS/WCDMA is shut down in a couple years that they will allow all volte-capable phones to use volte. I'll keep breathing. It just really sucks that they are so severely restricted. It's a coercion to buy a yet newer but specific phone if you want to use all the services available.
The extra sucky kicker is that most modern iphones will work for volte here. So I call this place Public iPhone Mobile. Or maybe I should say Public MFi Mobile. Along with some lucky collateral damage of some Androids able to work.

@PortMcNeill   "OK, when will I know if volte is available?"

Is your phone on the PM VoLTE list (scroll down the page in the link)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

Unfortunately not all VoLTE capable phones will get VoLTE with all carriers.  

@PortMcNeill wrote:

OK, when will I know if volte is available?

Earlier in the year, Public Mobile gradually made VoLTE available to existing customers.  Unfotunately, they're been restrictive when it comes to the devices that are allowed to use VoLTE.  You'll know if you have VoLTE if you're in a current phone call and the signal/data indication symbol shows that you're still connected to an LTE or 5G network.

PortMcNeill

OK, when will I know if volte is available?

1. Your phone needs volte capability. 2. The phone needs to be enabled for volte by Public. 3. There is apparently no useful 2G coverage where you are.

PortMcNeill

Why can't I receive or make calls?

2G the phone won't work at all

5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) phone can use data and receive txt but no calls

PortMcNeill

phone will not work at all on 2G.  I have the phone enabled on 5G/Lte/3G/2G(auto connect) now and txt and data working again but no calls in or out

Yeah unfortunately, 2G has much less coverage than 4G. If you are connected to T-Mobile and set to 2G GSM only and you have no calling then you're simply not in a 2G coverage area.
If you're set to 4G LTE and connected to either T-Mobile or AT&T you have no calling right?
And you don't see a toggle to turn on volte (even though I'm certain this shouldn't magically work)?
What is the make and model of the phone? And you're talking about real sms texting right? Like on an iphone the texts are green?

PortMcNeill

I have Cnd/US plan with 60 G a month.  I  am able to txt messages and use my data.  I do not have an internet source where I am at.

2G with TMobile not letting me call or receive calls

Don't bother with 3G. For you it looks like only 2G would work for calling. When you say data works do you mean cell data or wifi? When you say texting works do you mean real sms texting or imessage old timey instant messaging or RCS which needs the internet and could work via wifi.

@PortMcNeill 

please confirm if you have a 15 Day US Roaming add-on or did you get a Canada-US calling plan ?

PortMcNeill

2G and 3/3G lte not able to call

HI @PortMcNeill 

not T-Mobile 3G but T-Mobile 2G.  Change the network mode to 2G and voice should work

(yes, text would work without all these settings as text will work on 2G/4G network)

PortMcNeill

Texting is working.  Tried T Mobile 3G manually put in still not working 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Is your phone enabled for volte here yet? Can you change the phone to 4G LTE? Sounds like it's not enabled though. Change networks to T-Mobile and hope it switches down to 2G GSM for calls. If not then can you manually change to 2G GSM.
How about real sms texting?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @PortMcNeill 

you have US romaing addon or Canada-US plan?

which network you can connect to?

if you are on AT&T now, make sure VoLTE is turned on on your phone

if that does not work, try T-Mobile.  And if that does not work, keep it on T-Mobile and change the network mode to 2G and it should work

Need Help? Let's chat.