cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 800 Tough In Canada

zacforan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey folks,

Looking to use PublicMobile, and was wanting to use a Nokia 800 Tough for my phone. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, as it says that the Nokia 800 Tough does not work on CDMA networks. I am not the most savvy with cellular technology, and wanted to make sure this would work before ordering the phone. I was looking to order this one from this link: https://www.amazon.ca/Nokia-2100mAh-Rugged-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B07X63JCWT (not sure if it matters where I get it from, again just wanting clarification to make sure this would work). Any help and clarification on if I would be able to do this with public mobile would be great!

Thanks so much in advance!

14 REPLIES 14

@zacforan 

I don't recommend the sonim series of tough phones. They did not pass the bf test....barely made it 4 months.....

@LurganIeUk @AE_Collector maybe you are confusing WCDMA with CDMA. They are completely different technologies, and incompatible with one another.

@Anonymous @softech thanks for the kind words!

The TELUS network hasn’t been CDMA for years… and years now.

AE_Collector

@Anonymous .. yup.. my comment earlier wasn't targeting to your comment 🤣

and yes.. I trust sheytoon fully and learned a lot from him.. he is the PMikipedia here..  if he said yes.. i will go out and put it without a 2nd thought.

(hey.. same goes to your comment.. i trust you too.. if you said yes.. I will buy  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : Of course we need to be sure. But when someone like sheytoon steps in - that becomes the mic drop. He opines that the phone would not be entirely ideal but that it could barely work. He suggests continuing shopping. I would listen. Note: I'm not doing the mic dropping here. If sheytoon had not replied I would have said as much without the mic.

Terminology gets mixed up out in the wilds. There's a separation between CDMA and others. Others start with GSM. If you see "doesn't work with CDMA" then you know you can dig deeper.

honest, we have to be extra careful in concluding if a phone will work or not on PM.  Someone might go out and order a new phone for couple hundred bucks based on our comment..    🙂

@Anonymous .. you forgot to tag him with @  😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

So let me introduce to you
The one and only ...sheytoon.

Our resident expert.

@sheytoon wrote:

Assuming it's this version:

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-800-tough/specs

It is not ideal in terms of band support. It's missing 3G WCDMA B2 (1900) and LTE B2, 4, 12.

Network bands (LTE):

(excluding USA and Latin America) 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38/41 (120MHz), 39, 40;

(Europe) 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20

Network bands (WCDMA):

(excluding USA and Latin America) 1, 5, 8;

(Europe) 1, 5, 8

No assuming....look at what @zacforan said "the Nokia 800 Tough does not work on CDMA networks"

And look at what the ad says.....

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.24.41 AM.png

@Anonymous wrote:

yes will working with public mobile

visit Here to see your phone

@zacforan  says  that the Nokia 800 Tough does not work on CDMA networks...so it is GSM. 

And when Googling Telus they say:

No GSM device will work on the Telus network. Only Rogers. GSM also has horrible speed and reception as it's decades old.

So as @softech says...it WON'T work!!

Assuming it's this version:

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-800-tough/specs

It is not ideal in terms of band support. It's missing 3G WCDMA B2 (1900) and LTE B2, 4, 12.

Network bands (LTE):

(excluding USA and Latin America) 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38/41 (120MHz), 39, 40;

(Europe) 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20

Network bands (WCDMA):

(excluding USA and Latin America) 1, 5, 8;

(Europe) 1, 5, 8

softech
Oracle
Oracle

NO, it won't work.  It is  for European and Asian market which use different frequencies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes will working with public mobile

visit Here to see your phone

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses these bands and does not use CDMA.

Public Mobile frequency
3G HSPA+ B2(1900), B5(850) (Fallback for calls & 3G data)
LTE B2 (1900)
LTE B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
LTE B5 (850)
LTE B7 (2600)
LTE B12(700)
LTE B13(700)
LTE B17(700)
LTE B29(700)

Need Help? Let's chat.