cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal for US roaming

Rsalvado
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there,

I bought a US roaming add-on and data recently. I went for a cruise to alaska and after we left Vancouver I did not get any signal at all until we got

13 REPLIES 13

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

I haven’t tried for service in Alaska ports. If close to shore along one side or the other of Vancouver island I would think service may be possible but you would have to “work for it”. Out on deck when close to a population area, not hoping for service inside a steel ship.

There IS “Cellular at Sea” service as @darlicious mentioned but you need to be 12 miles (I believe) from the coast before this access is switched on. I was on a Vancouver Alaska round trip cruise in May and think I recall getting connected to Cellular at Sea. I don’t usually go looking for it as I don’t want to know what is going on at home! Someone called me and got me on my cell somewhere while we were at sea.

Most Vancouver cruises do/did go the inside passage while Alaska cruises from Seattle and points further south typically go outside of Vancouver island. Some of the larger ships even from Vancouver such as Princess Royal Class ships are going outside of Vancouver Island as well likely due to their height and a low BC Hydro power line crossing near Campbell River (I believe).

Rsalvado

Thanks, much appreciated

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Rsalvado 

It has been reported that ship to shore services may work on your phone. I believe it was @AE_Collector that said they were able to use these postpaid services (billed later by your provider). Since there are no overages, extra billing or fees at public mobile if you do have access to these services you can proceed without fear of being billed later for the service.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Rsalvado   couple members reported that the Alaska coverage is not shown on the coverage map.  It might not even be a PM problem as seems like there is no AT&T and T-Mobile signal in many of the big cities in Alaska, even there supposed to be signal.  So, try and see how it gees

These are the cities reported not working just 2 weeks ago :

Fairbanks, Anchorage, North Pole

and the member reported that this is working: Ketchikan AK

Bottom of this page.

Rsalvado

Where can I access the coverage map?

@Meow- I've never been on an Alaska cruise but I seem to think they use the "Inside Passage". The coverage map shows some coverage on the west coast of the island also, though again spotty. But after the island forget about it until Prince Rupert.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

What to say... You expect to have AT&T or T-mobile service somewhere in the middle of the ocean?

Did you ask other people (Canadian or Americans) if they have any signal/service?

I am sure ship has WiFi so voip app will do the trick for calls/SMS.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It looks like you could have held on to Public in between. But once out in the open north of the island, not, until Prince Rupert. Then it's quite spotty along the panhandle and then better in the Anchorage area.

Rsalvado

We left out of Vancouver and I don't think that the ships have towers. I just thought that I can get a signal out on the water since I am not far away from the land.

Did you leave out of Vancouver or a USA port?

If Vancouver you might pick up a Telus tower and no need for a USA roaming package. 

If a USA port you might pick up an American tower get some use from the USA roaming package. 

Do the ships have towers...a quick check, says no. 

An iPhone connected to wifi would allow  iMessage or FaceTime, or an app, not sure what an android has to offer over wifi. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

While the coverage map shows coverage between the mainland and the island (although spotty in some areas), north of the island will have little until Prince Rupert. Then you're at the mercy of the carriers in Alaska.

Did you get the welcome to the US text when you got in range of a US tower?

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Rsalvado hi I am not sure I understand are you saying you expected service out on the water ?

Need Help? Let's chat.