cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service suddenly today

Kai81
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Today, I have no signal on my phone suddenly. It worked well this Friday. My account status is "Active." I have tried 

1. powering off, then restart
  2. toggle airplane mode off/on
  3. reset network connections
  4. remove SIM card, then reinsert
  5. insert SIM in another phone.

None of the above steps worked. I live in Calgary. What is going on?

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite 

I believe you have erred in your selection of the solution. By choosing @popping's post future readers will get the impression that the OP was sim-jacked (a rare occurence these days since the introduction of the PAT industry wide to combat fraudulent ports and pm installing 2FA for SIM swaps). While in the end both @Dunkman 's post and @popping 's suggestion resulted in the OP having to purchase a new inactivated SIM card and swap it out the reason (likely a defective or dead SIM card) was not given but the implications of a sim-jacking are immensely different than a dead sim card.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Kai81

Thanks to all. I have bought a new SIM card and changed the SIM card in my account. Now it works well. 😀

Kai81

Thanks, Dunkman. I have contacted the customer service agent. I'll purchase a new SIM card and try changing the SIM card.

@darlicious wrote:

Once a fraudster gains access to your phone number or your SIM card they become you as far as any ñnancial account goes and they commence to changing passwords on your accounts to gain access and both defraud you and steal your identity.

OK. But this might be valid only if you share your mobile number with the bank, correct?

Even if you do, will fraudster know all other details about yourself? Full name, address, DOB, bank card and password you use to log in into your bank account.

How can anybody log in into your bank account knowing only your mobile number????

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Meow 

Until a year ago or so when pm first disabled access to our "change SIM card" feature in our self serve account's and required only CSA's could swap SIM cards to help combat the alarming rise in SIM jacking occurring particularly at pm.

A few months later the industry wide policy came into place to send out a PAT (porting authorization text) to approve phone ports and prevent fraudulent ports.

Once a fraudster gains access to your phone number or your SIM card they become you as far as any ñnancial account goes and they commence to changing passwords on your accounts to gain access and both defraud you and steal your identity.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@popping wrote:

If they do not match, someone may have hijacked your SIM card.  Contact your bank to lock down your account so that the bad guy cannot login to your account..

Could you please explain how hijacked SIM could be related to bank's account? And how that can affect logging into 'account'. Which account: bank's or PM's?

Just trying to understand relationship between SIM, bank and various accounts.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Kai81 

Can you borrow someone else's SIM card to test in your phone? Or stop by a mobile store and ask to test a sim card in your phone to see it's "compatible". This will rule out it being a device issue.

What error message do you get on your phone? There has been a high incidence of minor provisioning issues this past week but yours is much more than minor. Hopefully your SIM card can be reprovisioned otherwise it may have just up and died on you? If that's the case you will need to purchase a replacement unactivated SIM card and submit the receipt to customer support for a credit on your account.

It couldn't hurt to check your device's IMEI# number to ensure it hasn't been blacklisted.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kai81 wrote:

I have inserted my SIM card into another phone, but it does not work. And there are no active outages in Calgary. 😞

My phone works in Calgary all day today.

Login to your self-serve account.  Select the Change SIM Card link.  Check the last 4 digits of your SIM card against the last 4 digits showing on the Change SIM card page.  If they do not match, someone may have hijacked your SIM card.  Contact your bank to lock down your account so that the bad guy cannot login to your account.  Create a support ticket for help as suggested from previous posts.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Did you just start with PM did it work for one day and then this happened or has it been working for quite awhile and now all of sudden nothing works? 

@Kai81 

You will need to contact customer service agent for further help.  

Click on the chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact CSA.  Type: My phone is not working.  Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

Response times can take a few hours.  It is late so you may not get a response until the morning. Check your private message inbox (envelope in upper right corner of website).  

Kai81

I have inserted my SIM card into another phone, but it does not work. And there are no active outages in Calgary. 😞

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Kai81 

Did your PM SIM card work in another phone?  If not, likely a PM service issue.  If it did work in another phone, it is a hardware issue.  

You could check for outages with Telus:

https://www.telus.com/en/qc/outages

Need Help? Let's chat.