cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming SMS, Moto G5, $120/3mo plan

maxvt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've switched from an iPhone to a Motorola G5 and have issues with SMS delivery to my phone. Multiple on-line services that send me SMSes do not work, I asked a friend with a Wind Mobile account to send me a text and I did not get it.

I can get texts out. There are some friends who can text me and others that can't. Data works fine, non-SMS messaging apps like WhatsApp work fine.

16 REPLIES 16

maxvt

To close the loop: I've used the old phone to deregister from iMessage. After that, the next day SMS worked fine. Thanks all!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker fair enough, though the first S in SMS is Short.  🙂  Yeah texting is still a simpler, purer type of IM than most IM service, I suppose.  Although, you can still layer giphy (and probably other things) on top if desired.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Well, I don't use anything other than Textra, and although there are emojis, I don't have to struggle to see what they are, as the increase in size with the font size I've specified.

A lot of other apps for messaging, I find hard to use, and are cluttered because they present the smiles, emjojis and other stuff right up front... I don't like it.  I want SMS to be Simple Messaging System.

srlawren

wrote:

Now, if only we can get rid of all the extra stuff in iMessage.  I don't care for the 12 million (probably overestimated) emois, smilies, stickers, etc...

@stonechucker those are pretty much staple features of most IM apps these days, no?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Now, if only we can get rid of all the extra stuff in iMessage.  I don't care for the 12 million (probably overestimated) emois, smilies, stickers, etc...

srlawren

wrote:

wrote:

As mentioned by @koimr1, I believe it’s the missing step of unlinking the iMessage app, prior to switching to Android.

I really wish Apple would create an Android client for this.... or somehow have Hangouts or a combo of Allo and Duo work across both platforms!

Agreed. Allo and Duo do have IOS versions but I don't even know anyone who uses the Android versions! 😞

@koimr1 I have them both installed--does that count?!?  LOL.  Yeah, every time I go into the contact list in those apps (I check every few weeks to see if anything has improved), I'm like... "no, no, no, and...no".  Sadly.

wrote:

wrote:

I really wish Apple would create an Android client for this.... or somehow have Hangouts or a combo of Allo and Duo work across both platforms!

Actually, I would wish that Apple would stop making assumptions about how people want to use their devices/software, and stop forcing things to be Apple's way or the highway.

@Anonymous agreed there.  Though, I think if they came out with iMessage for Android, it would quickly becom the defacto "THE" instant messaging app.  I'd give it a whirl, just to shut up all my iPhone friends that refuse to bother with WhatsApp or other alternatives because they just iMessage all their other iFriends.  Sigh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Actually, I would wish that Apple would stop making assumptions about how people want to use their devices/software, and stop forcing things to be Apple's way or the highway.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wrote:

As mentioned by @koimr1, I believe it’s the missing step of unlinking the iMessage app, prior to switching to Android.

Agreed. Allo and Duo do have IOS versions but I don't even know anyone who uses the Android versions! 😞

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@maxvt which sms app are you using?

If you have more than one sms app installed try checking if the one you want to use is set as a default sms app in your settings. 

Or try deleting multiple apps and just keep one sms app. 

matbasm

wrote:

This might be the issue (and your possible solution): iMessage bug - Here's how to make sure you're getting all your texts if you switch to Android from i...

Oh yeah...  Seen it before.

koimr1

wrote:

I've switched from an iPhone to a Motorola G5 and have issues with SMS delivery to my phone. Multiple on-line services that send me SMSes do not work, I asked a friend with a Wind Mobile account to send me a text and I did not get it.

I can get texts out. There are some friends who can text me and others that can't. Data works fine, non-SMS messaging apps like WhatsApp work fine.

This might be the issue (and your possible solution): iMessage bug - Here's how to make sure you're getting all your texts if you switch to Android from i...

maxvt

My SKU is XT1687 (USA model), Moto G5 Plus. Outbound texts are verified. Talk works. Data works.

maxvt

Thank you for the advice. I have rebooted with no improvement. Do not disturb is off. There was one blocked number in my list (a spammer) and I removed them.

matbasm

@maxvt, does everything else work - outbound texts, talk, data.

We have a Moto G5, and texts are not an issue.  We do not have data though.  Which variant of the G5 is it?  Ours is the 1670.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

While awaiting the Android gurus, try rebooting your phone and be sure you have not enabled "do not disturb" or blocked some callers.

If you wish to experiment send me a private message.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.