cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service, new user

megjanes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I bought a public mobile SIM card today. I put it in my iPhone 8 and have chosen a plan. I’ve updated my APN settings. It still says No Service hours later. It also comes up with a not activated message.

24 REPLIES 24

megjanes

I contacted the mods and they have fixed it. There was an error on Public Mobile’s end, nothing to do with my phone.

thanks for the advice everyone

@GinYVR wrote:
@computergeek541Yup if you look at my picture a few replies down it is a US Sprint phone.. it is locked to Sprint because I only use it when I am in the States. On the top left hand corner it display LTE and will say Public Mobile (so it is connected). But still say Activation is Required (the lock component)

Yes, I did see that picture earlier, but I was just unsure if it displayed differently if  you inserted a non-registered/unactivated sim card.  I've seen some Android phones show full network bars with inactive sim cards before, although that was more of a strange one-off with that specific phone's software.

@computergeek541Yup if you look at my picture a few replies down it is a US Sprint phone.. it is locked to Sprint because I only use it when I am in the States. When I taken the picture I put in my PM SIM card to prove a point. On the top left hand corner it displays LTE and will say Public Mobile (so it is connected to the network). But the main screen say Activation is Required (the locked to Sprint part). So I don't know how unlocking it would cause No Service to disappear.

@GinYVR wrote:
@sunflowershineI wonder if you can post your reference here? I have never seen how unlocking a locked phone would fix a provisioning error.

I'm not too familar with iOS, but I assume you're saying that on the current Apple devices, it shows something different on the screen depending on if you insert an active or inactive sim card, even if the phone is locked?   I do realize that the phone won't be usable with the sim card until the activation server allows the phone to be fully used.

@sunflowershine I wonder if you can post your reference here? I have never seen how unlocking a locked phone would fix a provisioning error.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@megjanes I recall an iphone user has similar issue, the phone seemed lock to previous carrier. You can go to Apple store to unlock it. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@salimd wrote:

Did you move a number from a different carrier?? if so it could be that your info from the previous carrier is incorrect. log onto your public mobile login and double check the information. 

@salimd  a failed port will still allow for outgoing calls.

I would try the sim in a different phone, but as mentioned it's probably a provisioning error. 

@megjanes if/when you contact mods please include your sim number 

salimd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you move a number from a different carrier?? if so it could be that your info from the previous carrier is incorrect. log onto your public mobile login and double check the information. 

An iPhone 8 even international versions will work nominally with Public Mobile. I would recommend @megjanes to put the new SIM card into another phone to verify whether it is a SIM card issue or phone issue. I think it is the first one.

@megjanes wrote:

The SIM card yes, the phone no.

The phone need to be compatible with public mobile...https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started check here..

@megjanes wrote:

Yes it is unlocked. I have used SIM cards in other countries

Make sure your phone is compatible with PM:

https://willmyphonework.net/

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA

megjanes

The SIM card yes, the phone no.

@Lieux @RossN Even a locked phone should get Service from Public Mobile. It sounds like a provisioning problem to me.
Locked iphone on Public MobileLocked iphone on Public Mobile

@megjanes wrote:

looks like you need to contact the moderators as suggested above. 

@megjanes wrote:

Did you buy it in North America?

megjanes

@megjanes wrote:

I’ve tried that 😕

Did you try that?

Log in to self-serve. Plan & Add-Ons from top menu. Lost/Stolen Phone from next menu. Suspend Service button. Log out. Wait a few minutes. Log back in and back to Lost/Stolen Phone and Resume Service this time. Log out. Restart phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

When you log into your account is the status showing active ? Try going into your self-serve account and reporting your phone as lost/stolen.  Reactivate it shortly after.  

If you still have problems then trying contacting a moderator.

Moderator can be reached at 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@megjanes try reseating your sim are you sure its unlocked?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@megjanes wrote:

Hello, I bought a public mobile SIM card today. I put it in my iPhone 8 and have chosen a plan. I’ve updated my APN settings. It still says No Service hours later. It also comes up with a not activated message.

Is your iphone unlocked?

megjanes

I’ve tried that 😕

megjanes

Yes, I’ve received a welcome email and the call fails

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@megjanes wrote:

Try restarting your phone.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@megjanes hi did you complete the sign up did you receive a welcome message? if you phone *611 what does it say?

Need Help? Let's chat.