cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New with porting issues. Wont activate

cheygulbranson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ordered a new SIM card for public mobile.

Did all the right steps for it and received the sms text from Bell to cancel my contract with them.

My phone won’t activate and my payment went through to public moblile. I am not sure what is going on. My husband paid off our balance to Bell today and there isn’t any owing on our old plan. 
It’s been long over two hours and it’s not a land line. Have tried to take out the SIM card and put it back in as well. My phone has shut off from Bell so this needs to kick on. Have kept my old number.

any ideas?

23 REPLIES 23

cheygulbranson

Thank you very much will do that!

@cheygulbranson 

This is a sim card issue. Once in contact with the moderators they will attempt to reprovision your sim card. If that doesn't fix it you will need to purchasr a new one from a local retailer. Do not have them activate it. Save your reciept. Contact the moderators again and have them change the sim card in your account. Insert the sim card in your phone and reboot. Everything should be working. Submit your reciept to have the moderators credit your account the cost of the sim card.

I think it's good we confirmed that the porting was completed.  So, at least we know it is a phone or SIM issue.

If it is an iPhone, do you need to connect it to the computer with iTune for it to download the carrier profile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cheygulbranson : You're probably on your way by now but can you try the other SIM in your phone? Are both phones iphones?

The moderators will reply and you should get an email notification. Don't answer that. Come back here and click on the envelope upper right and click on the subject line of their reply and start working with the mods. The mod reply will have a blue MOD icon next to their name (either moderator_team or first name_last initial) but both with the MOD icon. Don't give personal information to anything else.

@cheygulbranson Calling the porting center was a mistake. The Public service doesn't work. That mean's it's not a porting issue.  The porting center can't know that everything's ok because they can't get into accounts. The sim is likely ok but you need to get your phone unlocked if it isn't or get a moderator to fix your account.

cheygulbranson

Thank you for the number I did call them and they said everything is good on their end and something must be wrong with my phone. So I checked it on another phone that’s unlocked and still no luck… not sure if it’s just a bad SIM card 

cheygulbranson

No good news here unfortunately. I contacted a number for porting issues and she said that everything looks like it should be working so it must be a problem with my phone but it is unlocked so I’m not sure what the deal is. What do I do if the SIM card is just bad?

cheygulbranson

It’s Unlocked

cheygulbranson

Can’t make or receive any calls

cheygulbranson

Yes I think talking to the moderator this is the only way? I think the SIM card it’s self is a bad one. I have gotten to the part that I have submitted a ticket.. now what do I do?

I also called a number for porting help and she said everything looked good like i should be active and to try my SIM card on another unlocked phone to see if it would work. Which I did. Both phones are unlocked and it’s not working. Just says no service. I am at a loss to know what to do 

tried allll the things that everyone has suggested. have been busy at work so that’s why I have taken so long to reply but I appreciate all the help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : It would be nice to hear any update from the OP wouldn't it. 🙂

@Anonymous 

But the sim card had no apparent service indicating that it did not activate correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : I was just picking up on specific wording used. Oftentimes we get people posting using misunderstood or incorrect terminology. I try not to be quite so hasty to direct people to the mods until I (we) know all the facts are clear. Semantics.

OP did say:  Did all the right steps for it and received the sms text from Bell to cancel my contract with them.

The text would say clearly asking to reply yes, given OP said  did all the right steps for it, I honestly think that part was completed (ie, OP replied SMS)

I would think maybe it's a system delay tonight on either side and Bell has not pass the number over to PM yet.

I hope OP would reply and add more info.. or reply with good news saying all done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cheygulbranson wrote:

I ordered a new SIM card for public mobile.

Did all the right steps for it and received the sms text from Bell to cancel my contract with them.

My phone won’t activate and my payment went through to public moblile. I am not sure what is going on. My husband paid off our balance to Bell today and there isn’t any owing on our old plan. 
It’s been long over two hours and it’s not a land line. Have tried to take out the SIM card and put it back in as well. My phone has shut off from Bell so this needs to kick on. Have kept my old number.

any ideas?

@darlicious : 1. no mention of replying to the confirmation. 2. possibly hasn't gone through all of Bell's systems and so could possibly still be locked to Bell. 3. I'll give you that piece. Still doesn't prove #2.

@esjliv 

Yes but normally an OP mentions needing an unlock code (message). But who knows since there has been no response from the OP.

@darlicious wrote:

@BKNS27 @Anonymous 

The OP has indicated that the port has completed by virtue that they responded to the porting authorization text and that the bell account is now closed.

The credit card has been charged by public mobile. All signs point to the pm sim card not activating properly or less likely but possible it being a defective sim card. Moderstor contact is necessary to resolve the issue.

Couldn't the phone still be locked to Bell?

@cheygulbranson  can you confirm what you meant by "My phone won’t activate "   ?

First you put PM SIM into the phone, was they any error?  you see Public Mobile on top of the phone showing it is connected to it?

Also can you make outgoing calls?  If you can make outgoing, then the account and SIM are activated.

If you can make outgoing call but just not receiving incoming calls, then it's porting not completed somehow.

(It seems like  we have many posts today about porting delay.  I wonder if it is those days again that porting take >3 hours to complete)

@BKNS27 @Anonymous 

The OP has indicated that the port has completed by virtue that they responded to the porting authorization text and that the bell account is now closed.

The credit card has been charged by public mobile. All signs point to the pm sim card not activating properly or less likely but possible it being a defective sim card. Moderstor contact is necessary to resolve the issue.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cheygulbranson 

Try power off the phone and wait a few minutes then power on with the PM SIM in the phone.

If the porting is not completed in 90 minutes. You will need to contact a moderator by clicking on the SIMon chat button and ask to contact a moderator.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cheygulbranson : How old is the phone? Is it possible that it's still locked to Bell? Did you get a confirmation text from Bell for the transfer? Did you reply yes to it? Did you leave the Bell account active before transferring out? Is it an iphone? Are you getting any messages popping up?

@cheygulbranson 

You need to contact the moderators. Your sim card/account did not activate correctly. Click on the chat bubble at the bottom right corner of your screen and type in sim did not activate and human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket.

Edit: The telus porting department cannot help you with this as they do not have access to your account.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cheygulbranson  porting usually is quick but it could take up to 4 hours in some odd days.

it should be good if you got Bell SMS and you replied yes

did you try reboot your phone with the PM SIM?  reboot it every 15 mins to see if you can receive incoming calls on PM

I will send you a number to call to confirm the porting status.  Check your Community inbox (envelop icon on the top right)

Need Help? Let's chat.