cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - 1 GB almost exausted in an hour

FAIZULAMIN
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am a new user on 25 CAD plan and my 1 GB data is almost exhausted in an hour although i rarely used. Is it a problem or what?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

bhavikcpatel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It would be good to check your data usage by app in your phone as there might be some backup process or some app consumes more data than you think (this will prevent such issues in future as well).

Thanks,

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry to hear, but you need to monitor your phone closely. Most phones out of the gate are auto configured to do automatic updates, run data in the background, check email every few seconds, etc etc. This makes the device more "convenient" perhaps, but the trade off is data usage. If you're not paying close attention, as others said, 1 gig can be chewed through in no time.

Please let us know what type of phone you're using -- specific model/make. That'll help us tailour our suggestions to you more accurately.

@FAIZULAMIN wrote:

Hi,

I am a new user on 25 CAD plan and my 1 GB data is almost exhausted in an hour although i rarely used. Is it a problem or what?

Thanks

1GB isn't much at all and easily be used in even less time.than that.   One of the worst offending apps that I've found using up hundreds of MB for no apprent reason (probably to preload ads) in the background is Network Signal.Info.  Also, one a couple runs of Speedtest.net could use up most of that 1GB within seconds.  Remember that for the first 48 hours after activation, you will get full LTE speeds.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Make sure background refresh is disabled (iphone) not sure what its called on android.

mojorising

@FAIZULAMIN wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

It will be more expensive but you do have the option to purchase a data add-on to carry you until your next billing cycle. Any unused data carries over to your next billing cycle.

dna2016

@FAIZULAMIN normally when I see/hear this happen it's because of one of the following:

1. you have an app running in the background that you're not aware of (suggest you check your app activity in the settings and see which app is using up all the juice, and disable it if you're not really using it
  2. if you're on android, possibly your apps performed an update (check your google play store and see when the last update occurred, if it occurred during the time you mentioned your data was exhausted then that's the problem).  I have my google play store set to only perform app updates when I'm on WIFI, so I don't end up wasting my plan data.  I suggest you check your play store settings and see which option it's on.

Hopefully it's one of the above because those are quick fixes.  If not, then you probably have bigger problems.

zackszabo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

streaming HD video can use up a GB of data in just 40mins.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@FAIZULAMIN 

If you use Facebook, disable automatic download video.  Only download manually while you are on WiFi.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@FAIZULAMIN wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

You can check Mobile Data settings on your phone to see where it all went.

Read about Managing your data usage here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-data-usage/ta-p/152760

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@FAIZULAMIN wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

@FAIZULAMIN  Not good Smiley Sad Click here for information on how to manage your data usage.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure if you are using any social media apps like Facebook or Twitter that you turn off for updates and notifications.  Also make sure that you turn off for app updates.  If you have Google Maps make sure to save maps for offline use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FAIZULAMIN wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

This can happen changing over to a new provider. The OS and apps might do some updating. You should always have the updates on wifi anyway. And turn off data when not in use.

Need Help? Let's chat.