cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim for 5g plan?

micagagne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just switch to a 5g plan and my phone does not see it.  I have a Samsung S20 FE 5g unlocked (bought at Costco, so was never dedicated to a network).  I tried to find some info on how to get it but could not find a definitive answer on how to get it.  Any help to solve this situation would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

micagagne

Thanks Void, I will probably go get it tomorrow and give my old phone to  my mother in law who have and A11 Samsung !  😄

Void

I got a Samsung A54 5G.

It can connect in 5G mode.

It can reach 250 Mbps in either 5G or LTE mode.

I was able to configure conditional forwarding (since their upgrade to VoLTE, conditional forwarding might not work unless the phone is "compatible").

micagagne

Is the Samsung A54 phone works good on Public (5g)?  I'm thinking of changing my S20 FE, I'm having too many problems with it, and the 5G not working is the cherry on top!

Well that's good to know. When I care about the 5g speed maybe I'll switch to another carrier. 

But if what you see saying is true that's its the carrier and not the manufacturer then it would make sense as I have had experiences with both companies.  

abarouni2023

the public mobile network does not support VOLTE and 5G on Samsung S20 FE 5G. Switch to other carriers. I switched to Freedom Mobile and their network supports VOLTE and 5G on this device. 

micagagne

I have a friend with the same phone as me and he got it at Costco also.  He is with Rogers and he got 5G with them, so it is not the phone, it is Public Mobile/Telus who is blocking it.

Just to added it (mine) also does NOT have 5G at Koodo either.

Very disappointing,  however,  I don't really have a speed issue on LTE.

hi @micagagne there is problem with S20 OS to use PM 5G network.   But you can still get near 5G speed on your phone using 4G or LTE.  So, other than not using the 5G network,  speed is almost like using 5G

That's all it will show. NO 5G

micagagne

Hi Yummy,

I tried a network reset and I do have a 5G plan (confirmed in my account) In Network mode in Settings, it only shows "LTE/WCDMA/GSM" option.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@micagagne Samsung s20 any series does not have 5g capabilities.  Even though the phone is 5g, Samsung has blocked that feature.  Only they can release. 

I have the s20 fe 5g for 2 years now. I have the 5g plan. It DOES NOT WORK. this is a Samsung issue,  not PM or SIM. 

Many posts about it has been placed here.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@micagagne  The Samsung S20 FE 5G seems to have a problem showing/getting 5G on Public Mobile. it's been mentioned a few times.  You might want to try a speedtest to see if you're getting the speed regardless of what the phone says though. You do not need a new sim card.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

SIM will work with any G (3,4,5).

Did you try to reset network settings?
Can you confirm you Actually did switch to 5G?
Maybe your phone will not show (top line) 5G but something else? My S10 shows LTE instead of '3G'.

Need Help? Let's chat.