cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim card activated but can't connect to network

Oom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my new physical sim card. But it is not working. I know it'll take time to port the number but I can't even connect to the mobile network. My phone is a Samsung s9, already unlocked and on hspa network.

12 REPLIES 12

@Oom 

there is no temporary number (this is normal for all carrier).

First, if your phone cannot connect to the network, it is very likely a sim card provisioning issue.  Easy fix for PM support but you just have to engage them via direct message here:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Also, you should receive a text from your old provider and you need to reply that within 90 mins. Have you done that?
After you replied yes, there would be another hour before the number is ported.  And at this time, before the porting is completed, your old sim with the old carrier is still fully functional, you can make and receive calls and receive sms.  So, you should be able to receive PM 2FA code.

Oom

I went through the steps for activation, followed the steps and requested to port my number, then it said my registration is complete and led me back to the log in page. Then I was stuck because I needed the two factor verification because I couldn't access my old number. However my worry is that while I'm waiting for my number to be ported, I should have a temporary number and still be able to use public mobile, but I wasn't able to do that. 

@Oom   If you don't have a Public Mobile phone number yet where exactly did you get to in the activations process?   

Oom

I haven't ported my number because I'm worried it'll get ported and it turns out my phone isn't compatible or there's some other problems. Because I didn't even get a temperary number. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Oom 

Please note that your old SIM will continue to work up to 2 hours until porting is completed.

Once it stops working, just power off your phone and switch the SIM and power on the phone…it should just work.

Oom

Thanks I've already sent a message via your think. I'll wait for reply. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Oom  Yes even with temp number it should connect to public mobile network , this leading me to believe you need support to re provision the sim on there end for you . You can use the link from my first reply 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Oom  You don’t need voLTE to use PM but all  accounts have it enabled but PM only supports certain phones for voLTE and yes network should be working and connecting 

Oom

My previous card works but I thought while it's waiting to port my number i should still have access to the mobile network with a temp number right?

Oom

While I'm porting my number should my network still be working? Do I need volte network to use public mobile?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Oom   Does the previous carrier's sim still work?  Did you get a text from them to authorize the transfer of the number to PM to which you replied yes?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Oom  Can you try this sim card in another phone ? Or reset network settings ? If same please use this direct link to support to help re provision the SIM card 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.