cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plan - text is charged insted of unlimited

Twix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i have recently bought a sim card with a plan that supposed to have 100 minutes call, 250MB and unlimited text. I have activated the plan but I have only 250MB internet and 100 minutes call. There is NO text in my plan. When I attempted to send a text it took out from the 250MB.

I need the plan I signed up for. What can I do ?

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If you are using NATIVE phone's texting app there is no data or any other charge. Even if you use MMS and data has to be on, data allowance will NOT be used. I confirmed that many, many times.
So you must be on $15 plan where SMS/MMS in/out is unlimited. When using native (android) texting app my data was Never used.

If you are using 3rd party it might use WiFi or Data.

@fixin1  The message bubbles are green so should not be using data (except for MMS in which case the data should not be charged).

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Twix   You keep saying you are using iMessage, do you mean that you are not seeing the text as sent in  the iMessage app or in your Public Mobile account?

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Twix - iMessage uses data for end to end encryption that SMS and MMS don't. It will use up your data if you use iMessage. I would recommend at least 1GB of data per month for use on iMessage and light browsing and rare FaceTime.

So if you want unlimited texts you would have to turn off iMessage & possibly disable it on all of your linked Apple ID devices to not mess up messaging because if EX: Your phone has iMessage disabled and Mac has it enabled - the MacBook will only receive the iMessage but if you turn off iMessage on Mac you will receive it on both iPhone and Mac. Prioritizes if there is a device with iMessage.

@Twix   Are you looking in "usage history" rather than just "subscription usage"?  I don't use SMS much on my iPhone but incoming SMS does show under usage  history but not subscription usage.

Twix

I have turned off imessage, I can send green bubbles but the texts are still not listed under USAGE. the good part is that i was not charged from the internet this time. so it worked, but the text was not accounted for under "usage"

@Twix   iMessage uses data.  You need to make sure it sends as SMS or MMS (MMS also uses data but shouldn't be charged).  Cell phone plans don't include "texts" sent by other than SMS or MMS.  You can enable SMS and MMS in the iMessage settings and turn off iMessage if you don't want to use data.

Twix

I am using Imessage.

Twix

I have sent gree bubbles. the settins for iphone are OK.

The current subscription is listing "unlimited text" but under "usage" the text not listed. 

fixin1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Twix - Are you using iMessage? RCS uses data as well.

You can also turn off iMessage or RCS to use SMS / MMS which is unlimited internationally.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Twix   What app are you using to send a text?  If it is not sending by SMS it will typically use data.

Need Help? Let's chat.