cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plan or old?

Glassguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to this community and am reviewing my plan and thinking of changing.  I signed on PM in 2017 and have a 90 day plan with unlimited talk/text and 1.5 GB (500/mo?).

I use around 60-80 minutes/month and only use up the data sometimes.

I'm thinking of going to the $15/month plan (is there a $45/90 days?) and am looking for opinions please.

16 REPLIES 16

@Glassguy, made the switch? Yeah....to what plan did you change to?

Welcome to the club in changing your monthly plans to a smaller one???

Glassguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everybody for your input.  It was all very helpful!  I made the switch.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Glassguy 

If you are mainly using WiFi, and only occasionally go over 250MB/30days, go for the $15 plan and take the current opportunity to get a non-expiring 1GB data add-on for $15 right now ( normal price $30) which will kick in when you go over your plan data. To be on the safe side for outgoing minutes, add the $5/500minutes.

You might still have the freebie add-on(s) from last year, so you don't necessarily need the additional options I mentioned.

Edit: Triple ninja'd... Sorry everyone, I should have known better by now. I'll refrain from posting again.

I would not worry too much about being the first responder each and every time.  There are members that literally have a response ready to ship before the question is submitted.  Even long after a thread may have gone somewhat stale, the post keep coming too.  There is no shame in adding to page 5 of a thread.  It is the new normal.  So please participate.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Glassguy , if you signed up in 2017 on a 90 day plan, you should have either 6 or 12 GB data.  I don't recall a plan with so little data.  How much do you pay?  It is all about the cost.  If it is not competitive with current pricing, by all means switch out. 

In my case, I have the 90 day, 12 GB data plan which comes to $40 per month for 4GB.  I am willing to forgo 1 GB per 30 days for the higher speed.  Since I typically don't use up all the data, having more doesn't mean anything.  I much prefer the higher speed.  

download_20140314_093700.jpg

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy 

If I looked this up correctly your paying $90 for 90 days with 1.5gb data (500mb/30 days). Switching from this plan means you will lose it forever and change from 4G data speed to 4G LTE (throttled to 3mbps)/3G but for most the difference in data speed is negligible.

Based on your usage of 60-80 minutes of calling and up to 500mb of data per 30 days the $15 plan w/ unlimited incoming minutes and texts, 100 min outgoing and 250mb of plan data will suit you well with a couple of add ons the $5/500 min (optional based on your usage) and taking advantage of the limited time 50% off 1gb data add ons you could based on one year purchase the following: 3 × 1gb data add ons (3 × $15=$45) +1 × $5/500min =$60 averaged this will add $5 per month (30 days) to the $15 =$20/30 days w/ 141 outgoing minutes and 500mb of data. The add ons will last at least one year and possibly longer as they roll over if you don't use your averaged  usage. The $5/500 add on could be added later if you feel you need it but the data add ons are best purchased now. This will save you $10 per 30 days from your current plan with the flexibilty to upgrade for a month or two if you expect to have heavy data usage for holidays or travel.

@Glassguy wrote:

I am new to this community and am reviewing my plan and thinking of changing.  I signed on PM in 2017 and have a 90 day plan with unlimited talk/text and 1.5 GB (500/mo?).

I'm thinking of going to the $15/month plan (is there a $45/90 days?) and am looking for opinions please.

One consideration could be data speeds depending on when in 2017 you got your current plan.  Some older plans have full speed LTE data. If that's important to you, know that once changing, you won't be able to get that back.

@wetcoaster wrote:

Edit: Triple ninja'd... Sorry everyone, I should have known better by now. I'll refrain from posting again.

@wetcoaster Please don't consider not posting here anymore.   Your posts and experience here are valued all the time.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Glassguy  To add to what being said, I'm also on the $15 plan and to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used. 

Please note you can use Google hangouts and Google dialer combined to check the voicemail and make calls free calls over WiFi within the US and Canada. But I find TextNow' s calls to be clearer and since you are given a Canadian/ US number it can be used worldwide, once there is WiFi. 

Stay safe. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy,  I down-graded my plan because of the loss of income and with uncertain times. I still keep the phone for emergency purposes. I changed from a $40 (90-day plan) to a $40 plan (30 days) to a $15 plan. I use Shaw cable at home, and with them lifting the data usage to unlimited, I don't need my phone data as much unless it's for work (which is now non-existent!). I do like the convenience of a 90-day plan, and it was much easier for my accountant when it comes to doing taxes, but that's a different story. 

Since you don't use your data as much, and the 100 minute is ample enough time for you, you could be fine as is without the add-on. I got the add-on just in case for those emergencies. One never knows when you need it the most, and one never knows when the self-serve goes down for maintenance too! 

1. Data-add on, $15 of 1gig data
  2. Minutes add-on, $5 for 500 minutes

Both add-ons will carry over to the next month if not used up. Which is a nice feature! I hardly use my phone to call, unless it's to my parents (they don't use text, and they don't want too either!), but, I use texting like nuts.

The great thing about Public Mobile, one won't get penalized if you change your plan. No fees. Granted, if you just renewed your plan, your grand-fathered plan and then you changed your plan to 'now,' you lose everything in your previous plan and start your new plan. Hence, if you have the patience, wait until renewal time. You can also set-it-up which is great to change on renewal time, so one won't forget. 

And if you think you use more minutes than say the monthly plans offer, then you can change it back up. Unfortunately, you still lose the 90-day payment plan (boohoo!)

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Glassguy 

Checking out the current plans from time to time is a great idea.

As mentioned, PM offers only 30 day plans now.

If you do switch, do note that your plan is no longer offered and you will not be able to go back to it. Each time you switch plans, you have to select from the plans offered at that time here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

You may be interested to know that PM has the 1 GB Data Add-On on sale for $15 (for a limited time) instead of $30. I mention this because data add-ons do not expire. Once they are purchased, they remain on your account until they are fully consumed. So you may want to switch to a lower cost plan (like the $15 or $25) and have the data add-on available in case you need mobile data. Also this data add-on can be purchased multiple times, there is no limit.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy wrote:

You might well be able to make the current $15 plan work for you, if you keep in mind some tricks. All incoming calls do not come out of the 100 minute bucket. Nor do outgoing calls to toll free numbers. (1-800, 833-888, etc) So you can really make those 100 minutes go quite far. If you ever get to the point where you need more than 100 minutes, you can purchase a 500 minute add-on that will only be used once all 100 minutes of the 30 day plan have been fully consumed, and the add-on will never expire until fully consumed.

You get 250MB included per month, but currently "for a limited time" the 1GB add-on is priced at $15 instead of the usual $30. You can buy 1 or more of them now, and and "stack" them for future use. They will never expire until you fully consume them. They will only begin to be used each once the 250MB included in the base $15 30 day plan is fully consumed. You can easily get much more value than the $25 plan doing this IMHO.

Keep in mind that we have observed over at least the last 4 months that when a data add-on is present on the account, the usual text notifications at 75% and 95% of data consumed do not seem to be sent out. Watch your usage via an app on your phone, or by regularly logging into self-serve and looking at the usage on the overview page.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy wrote:

No more 90 days but you can pay ahead. Try this. 

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan. 

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course the maintenance cost to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place. 

For add-ons.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **?The lesser value of the group ?

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on. 

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada  while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls. 

Note 1: The add ons I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.....the unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted. 

Note 2: Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”. And any freebies offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes and March 2020 (Covid 19 era) with 1/2 price 1GB Data. They treat us very well. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy 

If you are mainly using WiFi, and only occasionally go over 250MB/30days, go for the $15 plan and take the current opportunity to get a non-expiring 1GB data add-on for $15 right now ( normal price $30) which will kick in when you go over your plan data. To be on the safe side for outgoing minutes, add the $5/500minutes.

You might still have the freebie add-on(s) from last year, so you don't necessarily need the additional options I mentioned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glassguy wrote:

Wow. 2 - 3 years here and this is the first time you post.

Can you say the service has been solid for you all this time? Autopay too?

Anyway...90 day plans are no longer available so therefor you wouldn't be able to go back to one. It sounds like the $15 plan would be perfect for your actual needs. No point in buying excess when that excess gets wasted every month.

Get the $5 500 minute add-on and you can make lots of calls beyond just the 100 minutes. Right now the 1gb data is on special for the pandemic. Stack up a few of those and they'll hang around your account for those times you might go over the 250mb of the plan.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Glassguy wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no longer 90-day plans.  All current in-market plans are only 30 days.  If I plan works for you better I would choose it.  If you like paying every 90 days you still can.  Just add enough funds to cover your 3/30 plans and the remainder sits in Available Funds until it is required for payment.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Glassguy wrote:

All the plans right now are 30 day plans. See link for plans and cost.

In addition to the plans, there are add ons you can purchase too.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#plans-start

Need Help? Let's chat.