cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone activation... not working. Please help...

camperbc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a new Xiaomi Mi 9 phone and just went to activate it. Inserted the SIM card, (very stiff fit, difficult to insert) followed the activation instructions, set up my plan, and..  its a no-go. So I currently have an $800 phone that I can't use. And I have no idea where to even begin to get this thing up and running. I am frustrated beyond belief. It can't be because of the kind of phone, as it has all the required bands for the network. As I said, installing the SIM was tricky in itself, as it was a very tight fit and it may have bent a little. Will this cause it not to work? Or am I just missing something simple in activating a new device? I admittedly know nothing about this sort of thing, as it has been 7 years since I last bought a cell phone. So please, please, please, someone help guide me through this so that I can use my new phone! (Sheesh, and to think it's not even possible to just call someone at PM for assistance!)

Thanks,

Glen B. 

16 REPLIES 16

@camperbc wrote:

Yup, I lined it up correctly. 

Glen B. 

Good. While the card is in the phone if you dial *#*#4636#*#* Select Phone information do you see:

1. Phone Number (Yes or No)
  2. Current Network: Public Mobile
  3. Voice Service:
  4. Data Service:
  5. Voice network type:
  6. Data network type:
  7. Set preferred network type:

Are any of the above fields filled in? Note: Please do not include private info like IMEI,, phone# etc.

@camperbc wrote:

Glen B. 

There is a cutout in the corner.  I assumed the SIM is aligned to that cutout? 

We also seem to have two separate discussions here, one about the SIM being inserted properly and being properly read by the phone.  The other is compatible bands.  These are two very different issues.  When the phone is powered up, it is showing the presence of a SIM card?  If the SIM is being read, then the tight fit is somewhat of a red herring.  If the SIM is not being read, then there is something wrong with the tray or the contacts inside the phone.  If you don't get past this step, compatibility is immaterial.  Based on gsmarena information, the phone is compatible.  I believe the compatible bands are 2,4,5,7,12,17.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_9-9507.php

camperbc

Glen B. 

@camperbc wrote:

Yes I used the smallest one, the nano. 

Glen B. 

OK, Good and you lined up as follows when inserting the card in the tray?

pmlinup.png

camperbc

Below is the info you requested. 

Glen B. 

4G: LTE FDD: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/20/28 

LTE TDD: B38/B39/B40

3G: WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B8

TDSCDMA: B34/B39

CDMA EVDO BC0

2G: GSM: B2/B3/B5/B8

CDMA 1X: BC0

Supports 4x4 MIMO | HPUE | HO RxD

camperbc

Yes I used the smallest one, the nano. 

Glen B. 

@camperbc wrote:

The SIM was not mispositioned in the tray, but it was indeed a tight fit, and had to be snapped into place. 

Are sure you are using the correct SIM size? The PM SIM is a tripunch card you need to use the nano sim size. Here is a picture:

TriPunchSIM_1024x1024.png

camperbc

Yeah, it's not listed on there yet, but I have been told on this message board that it has all the necessary bands to work. I will have to try to find it again so that I can repost this info here. Glen B. 

camperbc

The SIM was not mispositioned in the tray, but it was indeed a tight fit, and had to be snapped into place. 

camperbc

Yes, I tried both slots. Both were equally tight. 

Glen B. 

Do you know the specific specs of the Mi 9?  It's not currently listed on the favourite www.willmyphonework.net yet, so listing the specs for network connections (cellular) would be very helpful.

camperbc

Sorry, but I don't even know what "porting it myself" means. All I did was insert the very snug SIM card, and went to PM and followed the activation instructions. But I have no clue what else to do.

Glen B. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The SIM is an interference fit which is needed to make electrical contact.  That said, it is not a force fit.  It sounds to me like the SIM was mispositioned in the tray and was forced into place.  This could cause physical damage to the contacts.  As long as the SIM is being read, that would indicate no irreparable harm was done. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@camperbc wrote:

I have a new Xiaomi Mi 9 phone and just went to activate it. Inserted the SIM card, (very stiff fit, difficult to insert) followed the activation instructions, set up my plan, and..  its a no-go. So I currently have an $800 phone that I can't use. And I have no idea where to even begin to get this thing up and running. I am frustrated beyond belief. It can't be because of the kind of phone, as it has all the required bands for the network. As I said, installing the SIM was tricky in itself, as it was a very tight fit and it may have bent a little. Will this cause it not to work? Or am I just missing something simple in activating a new device? I admittedly know nothing about this sort of thing, as it has been 7 years since I last bought a cell phone. So please, please, please, someone help guide me through this so that I can use my new phone! (Sheesh, and to think it's not even possible to just call someone at PM for assistance!)

Thanks,

Glen B. 

A good reference on how to activate can be found here Let us know if you have any other questions.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@camperbc wrote:

Thanks,

Glen B. 

That phone has two nano SIM slots and the PM SIM shouldn't be a tight fit. Did you try both slots? I hope the SIM card is not damaged.Smiley Sad

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Seems it is not your phone model issue. Did you port and activate yourself? maybe not getting through.

Need Help? Let's chat.