cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and unlocked Sky Platinum 4b, SIM not working

helge
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,
I can't get my Sky Platinum 4b run with my public mobile sim card.
I tried all the usual things, restarting the phone, changing network settings from automatic to manual and back, enabling and disabling flight mode... but it does not recognize the SIM.

On startup it says "No SIM, emergency only" and in the setting, it says "Empty SIM slot".

The Sky P4b runs on 3G and I tried my partner's sim card from another operator that works just fine. Must be somehow public mobile specific?

Any idea what else I could try or is it not compatible?

21 REPLIES 21

@Anonymous wrote:

@helge wrote:

Tried it on Chatr and a non-Canadian. I will contact support, thanks for the pointers.

If it works with an active Chatr SIM then go into networks and see about changing to something 3G. The Chatr might stop working but then try the PM SIM. The choices might even be 3G and 2G in which case the Chatr would still work and the PM just might. I'm wondering that the network is set to 2G/GSM only.

The manual does make mention of turning off radios that you aren't using like GPRS for optimizing battery life (see page 6 https://skydevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/PLATINUM-B4-UM.pdf )

This implies there might also be a setting to turn on/off 3G/HSPA/WCDMA - which is required to use on Public Mobile/Koodo/Telus Mobility/Lucky/Virgin/Bell Mobility.

The GPRS setting will work with a Chatr/Fido/Rogers network, but with no other network in Canada.

So please look in settings to enable/disable mobile network types and ensure 3G/HSPA/WCDMA is enabled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@helge wrote:

Tried it on Chatr and a non-Canadian. I will contact support, thanks for the pointers.

If it works with an active Chatr SIM then go into networks and see about changing to something 3G. The Chatr might stop working but then try the PM SIM. The choices might even be 3G and 2G in which case the Chatr would still work and the PM just might. I'm wondering that the network is set to 2G/GSM only.

@helge 

Your PM SIM card works in another phone, so it's not the issue.

But have you tried other SIM cards in your SKY phone? You could borrow the SIM card from a friend's phone for a couple minutes, just to test if it works. Ideally, you could repeat this test with another SIM card from another friend's phone which subscribes to a different carrier, just to confirm if your phone is indeed unlocked.

I had problems with a SKY phone a while back, I've met a couple people who had problems with their SKY phones. The UI software locked out certain things (like configuring APN, selecting a network operator, etc) which are essential for real world compatibility, even when the phone firmware itself isn't CK-locked.

If you have similar problems then I think the best solution is to just get a different phone. A shame that SKY devices seem to have such restrictive software, but if they're troublesome out of the box they'll likely be troublesome across their whole lifetime (you'll never know when an update breaks what already works, or breaks whatever hacks/workarounds you've used to get things working).

@helge 

I'm with @cavemantoronto on this one. You could use a paper shim or a little tape cut to size to keep the sim card in place.

@helge wrote:

You're being asked which carrier because Chatr, Rogers, Fido have a 2g network.  Your sim not being detected might means there's no good contact. Clean contacts with rubbing alcohol. The sim could be cut too thin or too thck or warped but still makes connection in the other phone but not this phone.

helge

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@helge wrote:

But it works with sims from two other operators! It must be an interplay of phone and SIM?

Which 2 carries? You need 2 distinct carriers to confirm it is unlocked.

Bell and Lucky are the same as is Rogers and Chatr etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@helge wrote:

But it works with sims from two other operators! It must be an interplay of phone and SIM?

Which operators? Rogers? Fido? Chatr? Other?

The manufacturer specs indicate this has no 4G LTE. Make sure your networks are set to 3G or WCDMA or UMTS or HSPA. Not GSM or 2G.

@helge wrote:

It shows the same for both slots. It somewhat recognizes in which slot the sim is (it enables the right one) but still lists it as empty.

Hello @helge ,

Did you try your SIM in another PM compatible phone? scratch that, I read you did try this.

Have you contacted the previous provider of the phone to see if it is locked?

If still issue contact he moderators, perhaps there is an issue with the provisioning on your account. 

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to:

Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators(PM Customer Service Representatives)

helge

helge

It shows the same for both slots. It somewhat recognizes in which slot the sim is (it enables the right one) but still lists it as empty.

helge

It does not even let me do a network scan, since no SIM is recognized. The whole network button is grayed out. I tried switching from automatic to manual with the other working SIM installed, but no change...

@esjliv wrote:

Hello @helge ,

As @JoyLuck posted...is your phone unlocked from the previous provider?

You mentioned it worked with another provider's SIM. If the phone is locked to a previous provided, contact them and have it unlocked for you. There is no charge for this.

To my knowledge, Sky Devices doesn't sell locked devices. I also don't believe that a Canadian carrier has ever carried this brand. 

gila
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@helge Did you manage to get it working?

If not, there's this article I found:

https://joyofandroid.com/fix-no-sim-card-detected-error-on-android/

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @helge ,

As @JoyLuck posted...is your phone unlocked from the previous provider?

You mentioned it worked with another provider's SIM. If the phone is locked to a previous provided, contact them and have it unlocked for you. There is no charge for this.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@helge wrote:

... the public mobile SIM works fine on my old phone, that can't be the issue.

This means that you have hardware issue with your unlocked Sky Platinum 4b.  Take it back to the store.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@helge , I suspect you have a hardware issue.  Your phone is reporting the SIM slot is empty.  That means it's not able to detect the SIM card. 

@helge 

As mentioned above, the phone should be compatible with Public mobile, no LTE bands though.  

https://skydevices.com/portfolio/platinum-b-4/

Did you try the PM SIM card in the other SIM slot? 

@helge wrote:

Ensure your phone is unlocked.

@helge wrote:

Hi,
I can't get my Sky Platinum 4b run with my public mobile sim card.
I tried all the usual things, restarting the phone, changing network settings from automatic to manual and back, enabling and disabling flight mode... but it does not recognize the SIM.

On startup it says "No SIM, emergency only" and in the setting, it says "Empty SIM slot".

The Sky P4b runs on 3G and I tried my partner's sim card from another operator that works just fine. Must be somehow public mobile specific?

Any idea what else I could try or is it not compatible?

The infromation that I see says that this model should be compatible with Public Mobile as it would appear to have HSPA 850 and 1900. When you did a manual network scan, did you see a Telus/Public Mobile network in the list?

helge

Need Help? Let's chat.