cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim Cards only available online

zulu53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My local Walmart (who supplied the last 4 sim cards for my friends and family over the last 2 years) tell me that Public Mobile is going with an online only model for obtaining sim cards and starting a plan.  This is in contradiction to the PM website.  Checking with other "retailers" this seems to be true - they have not been resupplied with sim cards.  Whether this is just a temporary supply chain issue or a permanent move?  Walmart were told it was permanent.  Just wish PM would update their website more frequently

17 REPLIES 17

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

I had one with freedom....$40/unlimited Canada wide calling, texting and data. That's the phone number on my unlucky $13 plan.

"Price for Life"?  

i still looking for a service that offer me that  🙂

@darlicious 

Looks like to me you  are still yearning 3 donuts  $1🍩.🍩🍩

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

I won't list all of the issues I have with the 30% rate hike to the $10 plan you are free to read 40+ page pdf document. Its the coercion of customers who can least afford it onto a plan they neither want, need and for some afford. For many customers its an emergency phone, a basic necessity to access healthcare, social service agencies and other government agencies. 

Do you see these price hikes at the other end of the scale? No you see providers sweetening the pot....$95/25gb unlimited plan? Here have another 25gb on us....oh do you need to go to the US? Don't pay $12/day for another $10 get free roaming.....the penn&teller method of raising your bill by giving what you don't need or want but its such a good deal that you would be crazy not to take it....I mean a dozen donuts is better than just one or two if its only thrice the price....right?

I only want one donut. I don't even really need it and I definitely don't need or want a dozen donuts!!🍩

@CountyDownIeUk- "IF"? All the other plans like 90 day plans are still on-going un-changed. They all pre-date the $10 plan. They did in effect discontinue it. They forcefully changed everybody to a new plan. The new plan offered nothing of any enticement. If they had made it the 100/100 plan I probably would have thought that was great. Or at least well alright if you have to I'm fine with that. But as it is, the illegally executed forced plan change was just a cynical, greedy gouge.

Why should customers be coerced into a different plan? The $15 plan was a 50% price difference. For those wanting to keep their cash flow as minimal as possible, that's not on. And of perhaps lesser importance, the loss of full 4G LTE.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

While I am not that great with date retention or history of the $10 plan change OR the move from $ rewards to points rewards. "IF" the $10 plan went to $13 and the $ points rewards were still in place...how bad of a deal was it for the forced move of $10 to $13 and voluntarily move to the $15 plan with $2 off for auto-pay. While I agree a 30% increase is harsh.....but how long would the $10 plan last for? They could have just discontinued it and gave you a date to move to another PM plan with some type of motivation $'s or benefits or move on. 

@darlicious 

Telus is moving more into the Health sector along with running Pensions. 

Telus buys LifeWorks, formerly known as Morneau Shepell, for $2.9B

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Well I care! I'm not done either.....we will see if pm ❤ darlicious when I am done.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Everyone seems to think this is a new thing.  PM was originally online only for SIM purchases and activations and this move is getting back to the routes.  I doubt we will get back to where PM is an Industry Leader but maybe this is the first step back to the glory days.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@zulu53 

The questions are. 

1. Will retailers no longer sell AND activate PM SIM cards? Thus a savings to PM on the activation piece. 

2. Will retailers continue to sell SIM cards only?  I would say yes as the PM delivery sucks and they would kill the business and they know that. But would a competitor like PC continue to sell them at all or just up sell their product?

CCS is still selling them and doing their activation deals as well....just checked. 

1Retailers are not selling or activating SIM cards

2 No Retailers are not selling SIM cards, Select Telus and Koodo retail locations will be selling PM SIM cards

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

Mr. Entwistle's likely $20,000,000+ compensation package this year has to come from somewhere. Steal from the poor to pay the rich as they say.....

@darlicious 

PM has done some belt tightening. 

1. Changed from $ rewards to points. Of which savings will come from loyalty, auto pay credit and?

2. Savings on commissions paid for retail activations.

3. Increased $10 plan by 30% of which, logically, customers would move to $15 plan. 

Are they tailoring PM to merge? 

Are they saving to:

Spend on LTE?

Spend on USA roaming?

Enhancing some plans?

Advertising?

To increase profit?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

Tomorrow is the last day for any retail activations.

@J_PM 

Its extremely disappointing that pm has had no official announcement on this subject and we need a definitive answer on the sale of pm sim cards. Since pm is going back to an online model only that means we become pm's only sales force. With all of the recent changes with public mobile's business model, commmunity design and the introduction of Public Points to replace the rewards program I for one have become disillusioned with my provider....among other things like changes to my plan price increasing by 30%!! Unless your boss Mr. Entwistle's plan is to tank public mobile the communication of upcoming changes to the community is paramount.

I used to ❤ public mobile....now not so much. Its just kind of meh!

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@zulu53 

The questions are. 

1. Will retailers no longer sell AND activate PM SIM cards? Thus a savings to PM on the activation piece. 

2. Will retailers continue to sell SIM cards only?  I would say yes as the PM delivery sucks and they would kill the business and they know that. But would a competitor like PC continue to sell them at all or just up sell their product?

CCS is still selling them and doing their activation deals as well....just checked. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @zulu53   

Yes, the new model is coming, just that the retails loss interest in helping PM and started to stop selling PM SIM earlier.

I believe the new model will be fully online and will start July 18 (if i remember correctly)

But even buying sim card has to be online, it is a bit too much I think

For now, call your local Koodo store and see if they can sell you PM sim card.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@zulu53 

Yes, this is true but you can still purchase it from Canadian Cell Supplies online with fast shipping.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@zulu53 yes they are slow to update but yes it's true they are going strictly online , Canadian cell supplies has always been the fastest place to get a sim card and always at least half price 

Need Help? Let's chat.