cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM card no service

Hexvolt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, today I bought a new Public mobile SIM card, I successfully registered an account with new phone number. However, my phone shows me No service and it doesn't know the phone number attached to that card. my public mobile dashboard shows that my account is active, however I cant use it!

My phone is compatible with public mobile network (checked on the website)

I powered off and on my device several times, also tried to put APN settins according to the instruction. Nothing works! I spent around 150 dollars for sim card and vouchers. Is that for nothing???!!!

15 REPLIES 15

Ajd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just went to sign in and selected new SIM card (even tho it wasn’t) and reentered the number.   It did work right away.   

Jackoi

Hi I'm having the same issue. I'm wondering how you chose this mode for the SIM 2 slot specifically? Did you restart your phone after switching the mode? Was it instantaneous? Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @eemilbaginskii, Although some KB articles indicate tagging the moderator team as a good way to get their help, it is hit and miss.  Your best bet is always to send them a private message if you need their help.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

That said, if you explain the problem, someone here in the community might be able to help you.  What plan do you have, and what isn't working (talk/text/data)?

eemilbaginskii

@CS_Agent I'm having trouble getting service with my new SIM card installed. Phone is compatible with 3G.

please help. thanks

Ajd

Re enter SIM card number (choose new SIM) on self serve account.  Put SIM back in.  Worked right away for me.  

On some Android phones, the *#*#4636#*#* code can be used to set GSM only. The tricky part is how on some phones if you made that change using that special code, it persists even after a factory reset and changing that setting in the regular settings menu doesn't work.  In those types of cases, users have to know to go back into that 4636 special code to make the change.

Hexvolt

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I tried my PM SIM card on her phone with the same result (she doesn't have PM card)

However, I just got some good news, as it looks like I managed to make it work. Somewhere deep in the mobile networks settings, I found an option of using "GSM only", "WCDMA only" and "GSM/WCDMA auto" modes. It appeared to be on the "GSM only mode". I tried to switch it to the "GSM/WCDMA auto" mode for my SIM2 slot where the Public Mobile SIM card is installed. And after that, it started working.

To do that, I also had to switch my SIM1 slot settings to "GSM only mode", as my phone said it is impossible to have both SIM slots working in WCDMA mode. So that's it.

I tested mobile internet and phone calls - so far it works! 🙂

I hope that might be useful for someone else too. That should be in the setup instructions.

For now, I wouldn't worry about APN settings.  You could keep trying to make changes until you want to figuratively rip your hair out and it wouldn't solve the problem of your phone showing "no service" in the notifcation area.  APN settings have nothing to do with getting your phone to connect to the network, and you would have no way of knowing if you've set them correctly because there's no way to test the APN unless you are first already connected to the network.

From what I see, the LG L90 D410 does have 850 and 1900MHz for 3g, so it should work.  Also, if your wife's phone is also with Public Mobile and her sim card works in her phone, that would say something since your sim card isn't working in that phone.

There appears to multiple variants of the LG L90.  I see that there's also a D410h varian that appears to have different frequency support.

Hexvolt

@wetcoaster yes, it is unlocked and it has never been used with any other Canadian operators.

I also tried this SIM card with my wife's phone Samsung Galaxy J320 HDS with no avail. It showed the same "no service"

@Hexvolt

I might have overlooked that in the conversation, but here are two more thoughts:

Is your phone unlocked (or locked to Telus or Koodo)?

There have also been reports on the forum that some LG phones need a factory reset in order to work properly with a PM SIM card.

Good luck!

Hexvolt

I have LG L90 D410.

I have no signal on that SIM card, so it says "no service". Several hours passed since my account become active but still, nothing works!

Trying to contact @CS_Agent

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What type of phone do you have? Do you have a signal on your phone, or does it say no service?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Looks like you've encountered an account related problem. You will need the help of a moderator to resolve this issue. The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

Hexvolt

Thanks for the link

It shows:

2G - No

3G - yes

4G LTE - no

I knew that my phone doesnt support 4g, so I chose a plan with 3g. But what I basically need is just a phone number and an ability to call, it has nothing to so with the internet

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Hexvolt, if you checked your phone on the site through the IMEI checker on the site that only checks to make sure your phone isn't lost or stolen.  What type of phone do you have?  A better site to check on compatibility is www.willmyphonework.net

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.