cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone and want to keep sim

sn2willi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone 14 Pro and just got a 15 pro. I took the sim from my old phone and put in the new phone but it gives me an error, I think due  to it being registered to my old phone. How do I get this switched so my sim will work on my new phone?

21 REPLIES 21

@BKNS27 wrote:

@sn2willi 

That is weird because it is illegal to lock phones in Canada. Is the iPhone still been paid in monthly instalments for 24 months?

Based on the information given so far in this thread, we have no idea of where this phone was originally sold.

@sn2willi 

That is weird because it is illegal to lock phones in Canada. Is the iPhone still been paid in monthly instalments for 24 months?

@Handy1 wrote:

@computergeek541  Yes I was grasping at straws when ask about the sim being upside down but was alluding to the fact I thought it could be locked by saying I guess it didn’t come from Apple and is it possibly in contract with another carrier ( locked to that carrier )

Nothing you threw against the wall stuck my friend.  🤣  SIM cards have a notch so that it is not possible to install it upside down.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@sn2willi   Go to settings -> General -> About -> scroll down to Carrier Lock.  What does it say?

@computergeek541  Yes I was grasping at straws when ask about the sim being upside down but was alluding to the fact I thought it could be locked by saying I guess it didn’t come from Apple and is it possibly in contract with another carrier ( locked to that carrier )

So as indicated by computergeek541, the phone is locked to a carrier already. If you want to use it, you would have to go back to where you purchased it from to get them to unlock it before it will work with Public mobile or any other carrier other than wherever its locked at. It's been a few years where stores in Canada are no longer allowed to sell a locked phone, presuming you bought it in Canada. If so go back to them they have to do it for free.

Or you can go to a mobile shop that does unlocking and see if they can do it for a fee.

@Handy1 wrote:

@sn2willi  That’s strange I have iPhone 15 pro and had the 14 pro and 13 pro before it and all uses same SIM card also ensure the SIM card isn’t upside down . Also where did you get the new phone 15 from I’m guessing maybe not Apple did it comes from another carrier and in a contract possible 

An upside down SIM card could not cause an error message about an unsupoorted carrier as the phone would not be even able to read it.  The phone would think that there's no SIM card in the device at all.

@sn2willi wrote:

IMG_5115.jpeg

 the card fits fine I just get this error, sounds like I need a new sim?

This isn't an issue with your SIM card. Your phone is locked to another carrier. You need to get that carrier to unlock it.

Totally weird 😕 

@sn2willi  That’s strange I have iPhone 15 pro and had the 14 pro and 13 pro before it and all uses same SIM card also ensure the SIM card isn’t upside down . Also where did you get the new phone 15 from I’m guessing maybe not Apple did it comes from another carrier and in a contract possible 

sn2willi

It is public mobile

IF its not a Public Mobile card you have to buy a new one. Each carrier has own SIM.

sn2willi

Yes to both

sn2willi

IMG_5115.jpeg

 the card fits fine I just get this error, sounds like I need a new sim?

This is a Public Mobile SIM card? Correct size for your phone?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@sn2willi  Yes you can just move SIM card from old phone and put in into the new phone . When you do this if it appears the sim looks to big for the new phones SIM card tray . Note you can pop off the outer edge to first the SIM card to for the sim tray in new phone 

3 hole punch /desired size

Handy1_0-1705963074033.jpeg

Note flat edge corner / fit flush in tray

No lifting or rising /push in all the way

sn2willi

IMG_5115.jpeg

If you have a physical SIM card and it's Public Mobile you should be able to take out from a phone and insert into another phone. So then not sure why you are getting error message.  Did you check that you have inserted properly? Also is it the same size? Nano verses mirco?

abtest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sn2willi- You should be able to simply put the old SIM into the new phone.  The device doesn't matter.

sn2willi

I don’t want to change sim number though I just want to move the sim from my old phone to new (like physically). 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@sn2willi You have to sign in to your account on a computer or laptop. Go to my account. There's an option to change sim number you can swap it there.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/change-sim-number

Need Help? Let's chat.