cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Number incomplete port - Cannot receive calls and text.

Akagi82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi There.

New customer since Early September.  I completed the instructions to port my number and start service via the public mobile app.  There were no indications anything went wrong, however I cannot recieve calls and I don't get texts from some people.

Today was the first day I was able to log in.  Every other time, when I tried to log into my account, it required me to verify by SMS to complete account creation... but that SMS never came.  Today, it did not ask me for it.

Please help me complete my port.

7 REPLIES 7

Akagi82

Chatal.  I have resolved this issue.  THe problem was that I inserted my new sim card in before starting the porting process.  You need an SMS message sent to you from your old service provider that allows you to confirm that you indeed want your number ported out.  Please start a new topic, and the people here can address you seperately.

Chatal
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been 20 days with no request sent to my old carrier. Now I have to pay my monthly bill with what was supposed to be old carrier..  so disappointed.  

Hi @Akagi82 

I think they meant you have to call old carrier to confirm accout  active.  And you need to check if your old sim with them still functioning, can receive text and call 

if all good, then call that PM porting team again and ask them to reinistate the porting request.

Akagi82

Spoke to a live agent @ the number provided.  They are stating that I must contact my old carrier to request for a port overide (i may have the terminology incorrect).  I am waiting for online live agent.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It typically only takes a few minutes for a local number port to complete. As in, the SIM/IMSI and phone number are active, you can dial and answer calls within the local network.

It can take long for a number port to "complete". The technical guys explain it differently, but I think it's basically the same old computer networking and accounting nonsense you get anywhere else, it takes some time for all the local cell sites and offices across the nation to sync up with the latest subscriber information. This all used to typically take about two business days, although the CRTC allowed up to 10 days (or even up to 30 days in some circumstances) for number ports, anything longer would mean the carrier is non-compliant. These days, it usually seems to be done in less than an hour but sometimes people have to wait days. Until the number port is actually complete, some incoming and outgoing numbers (especially those across long distance networks or other-carrier networks) seem to get misconnected and disconnected a lot.

I would wait 2-3 days, allow time for the problem to solve itself.

But after 4-5 days I would contact the new operator (Public Mobile in this instance) and get a support ticket. The CRTC-mandated maximum allotted time for a number port cannot normally be exceeded, if a number port gets stuck on some technical detail for too long then the number can be lost forever (allocated back to the number pool, where it is extremely unlikely to ever become recovered or available again for the previous owner).

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Akagi82 

Sounds like you have a stuck port. I have already messaged you the number for the porting department. Please check your messages here on the community and give them a call, they will be able to help you! 

Click here to view your messages:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Akagi82 

I will send you the porting team number to your private message top right corner.

Also, this is how you can get your 2FA code without using SMS.

Can’t get the 6 digit 2FA code to your phone? Try this method

First, sign into your account at www.publicmobile.ca and use the email you signed up with and the password. If it asks you for a 6 digit code, it will say at the top left CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY.- Enter the 6- digit code sent to *********.  But it’s not working!!! As you see by the screen shot below, 1. Click the This is a trusted device. 2. Didn’t get the code? Click on that.

KennethJAdams_0-1696702304218.png

Then, the next window that pops up is this.

KennethJAdams_1-1696702304217.png

Click on Send email. Here it will send you the 6 digit code to the email you registered with. This step is very important. Do not just copy and paste. Enter each digit using your key pad.

You should now be able to get into your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.