cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Community Forum Layout

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I logged into the community forum on my phone this morning and saw something completely different.  I thought my browser was broken because things were not where I was used to seeing them.  Selecting desktop site didn't do anything different.  Seeing it for the first time on a desktop computer, I sort of like what I see.  Having stickies to keep important posts at the top is a great step in the right direction.  The site is definitely more computer friendly than mobile device friendly.  It will take some time to learn of all the changes.  It would be interesting to hear of everyone's first impressions.  Let's discuss.

36 REPLIES 36

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@on2wheels 

That's alright. I love a blast from the past. Wait til you check your new rewards account!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well, add that to my list of reasons this new design is confusing.

@on2wheels, you are replying to a thread that is over 4 years old.  There are few new threads on this latest release of the community forum

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

At first glance this new design is not good, here's why.  The link to login is not obvious, this makes it less intuitive when new users come here or when teaching less internet-savvy people how to use the site.

The forum sections seem to be gone, or if they are not it's not obvious how to find them.  I'm no web designer but one of the top 3 things I look for in any web site is how easy is it to find what I'm looking for.

Funny enough as soon as I started typing this the pop up appeared to give feedback, thank the gods for copy paste.

edit: wouldn't you know it, the feedback form only takes 500 characters or less...

@Brooke_C this is the mobile error issue:

@zhadj030 wrote:

Jackpot .

Here we go.

Screenshot_20170118-135909.png

If you have any decent resolution there is alot of blank white space all around

I can only assume they have it like this for small cell phone screens

Left and right sides, I would guess 50% or more of my screen space is wasted...

@ute1978 wrote:

My opinion: To much blank space especially in between the posts on the right side of the posts and everywhere else. Everything seems so huge now.

Jackpot .

Here we go.

Screenshot_20170118-135909.png

Also it looks weird when tagging someone before the name would turn blue ,,, now u don't know if it worked or not. @CaNuCk07 ;XD just testing 

@ute1978 it certainly feels like that on the desktop version on mobile it feels great. And the switch also happens faster

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My opinion: To much blank space especially in between the posts on the right side of the posts and everywhere else. Everything seems so huge now.

@CaNuCk07 I guess we will indeed have to wait and see a little bit more. 

Also on mobile I find it near impossible to tag someone; I have to switch to the desktop version then write the message

@zhadj030  Agreed, i do find this harder to locate new posts to action.  But maybe its just a matter of getting used to something new.

I seem to find it really hard to distinguishe witch topic are new (bold) vs the others you already saw

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I noticed the friends list is harder to locate than before.  I can see if when I go into my private messages.  Previously, they were part of my profile. 

The various forums should be presented in a pop up menu when you hover the mouse over the community hot link.  This is a feature that the RFD forum has adopted and I really like it.  It is such a convient way to navigate the forums.

@kav2001c wrote:

Something else I would be curious about

I understand them putting Knowledge Base at top (obvious right)

But why rank Public Lab so high? 

And Annoucements is now buried, last thing listed

Seems wrong...

There is the name change for Bravo to Kudo.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Did anything else change? other then the layout ?

Something else I would be curious about

I understand them putting Knowledge Base at top (obvious right)

But why rank Public Lab so high? 

And Annoucements is now buried, last thing listed

Seems wrong...

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

Where is the lastest topics section?  IT used to aggregate the latest topics regardless of their section posted in.  Now its much more difficult to locate new topics.

@CaNuCk07

Exactly.  I've requested it be reinstated in Public Lab:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/New-community-design-should-include-link-to...

Anyone who finds it important to be able to see the latest topics, please support the idea and vote it up.  One of the moderators has replied that they are monitoring the response.

domenicocortez
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Welcome to the 21st Century...

No kidding, good idea!

Thanks for update

ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

New community foroum layout is looking nice but will take sometime to get used to it.

Where is the lastest topics section?  IT used to aggregate the latest topics regardless of their section posted in.  Now its much more difficult to locate new topics.

Thanks it maybe just my work computer but it doesn't display those buttons but I did see a  red number 2 for notifications so at least I won't miss anything.  But I do thank you guys!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 it pops up now (bottom right corner, where Simon used to be)

dearmusic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Has anyone seen where the Private Message notification is or any of those other features?

It's up on the top

@ShawnC13  I think its up top on the right below Get Help.

Has anyone seen where the Private Message notification is or any of those other features?

So, this is not good.  What I think I'm seeing on my computer is a mobile version of the community forums, and I can not find the "Desktop" mode.

With my vision issues, I have been reading the forums with magnification turned on, and currently my Chrome Browser has no magnification, yet I'm still able to read every (My 3rd part software is turned on for magnification however).

Is there a desktop / 'normal' view of the forum, and where might I find the link?  This change may keep me away from the forums, as I can not easily navigate at this point.

Sorry but new layout is VERY akward

I am not a fan of pop up notifications either

I like how some things are cleaned up but things like quick links for notifications / profile etc seem nowhere near as nice

It actually looks more like Koodo forums now...

The forums new look is nice and clean!!  I am sure there will be some massaging of the layout with suggestions and such over the next little while.  A feature that I haven't seen yet (it might be here) that is miss is the number of new posts in each section since my last visit.  It made it easy to click on the sub-section that had new posts and go a view them.

I am sure there will be more suggestions or things I notice but like I said I am liking the new clean fresh face of the forum.

Need Help? Let's chat.