cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Activation of Basic plan for my kids

Phebz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently got a basic $10 phone plan for my child to use for emergency purposes. I activated and processed the account online with success, and picked out an easy BC-Vancouver area code 778 phone number from the list provided. After the first full day after activation, upon checking the phone after school, numerous creditors have called and texted her. I cannot block the numbers from the device she currently has as it is an older phone. Is there another way to block out numbers?

I have also tried changing the number on the self serve account, but now the system doesn not give me an option for a 778/604 number. It only shows a 236 area code.

7 REPLIES 7

Junk, spam, nuisance, scam calls can come in to any number. 

As for the creditor/collection calls, it's possible that someone else who had that number previously but did not pay a bill.  I want to say that collections agency don't randomly grab phone numbers and start calling (at least not the legitimate ones), but even the legitimate ones  tend not believe you when you tell then they have the wrong number or that you don't know the person they are looking for and will often just keep calling even after telling them to stop.  They'll even call and text you just because you know someone who owes money.  I see that as shady, but they do it.

604, 778, 236 area code - I would just change the phone number anyway.  Since you just newly activated this number, I would imagine that you aren't too attached to it.  The thing is with the new area codes, people don't want them, but over time, people don't really care that much about it any more.  You can always change your number at a later time if a 604 area code number becomes available.  As for 236 phone numbers, there are some advantages to having a phone number that has likely never been used before.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

If the phone is android, I suggest using the Google phone and messaging app.  Both include a blocking option.  If connected online, the app does provide real time suggestions of spam phone calls. 

@will13am FYI most Android users (unless they are using a Nexus, Pixel, or Essential phone--or are rooted/custom ROM I guess) don't have access to the Google Dialer and instead have to use the one that shipped on their phone.

For example, here's what I see when I search for Google Dialer in the play store:

GoogleDialer.png

I did not know that google is so selective.  My phones are either rooted or running stock google.  I wonder if getting the apk from the mirror sites would work. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

If the phone is android, I suggest using the Google phone and messaging app.  Both include a blocking option.  If connected online, the app does provide real time suggestions of spam phone calls. 

@will13am FYI most Android users (unless they are using a Nexus, Pixel, or Essential phone--or are rooted/custom ROM I guess) don't have access to the Google Dialer and instead have to use the one that shipped on their phone.

For example, here's what I see when I search for Google Dialer in the play store:

GoogleDialer.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

mimmo

Unless there is dara I don't think the call blocking apps wil work.

Why not get the new area code?  

popping

@Phebz wrote:

I recently got a basic $10 phone plan for my child to use for emergency purposes. I activated and processed the account online with success, and picked out an easy BC-Vancouver area code 778 phone number from the list provided. After the first full day after activation, upon checking the phone after school, numerous creditors have called and texted her. I cannot block the numbers from the device she currently has as it is an older phone. Is there another way to block out numbers?

I have also tried changing the number on the self serve account, but now the system doesn not give me an option for a 778/604 number. It only shows a 236 area code.

For the new area code, the phone number you get may not be a recycled phone number and never been used by another person.  

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm guessing it's a cheap Android phone? You can install an app for that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vladlee.easyblacklist

Need Help? Let's chat.