cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Roaming, and the New Canada-US 40GB Plan

FormosaWest1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I have a few clarification questions about this new promotional plan.

I'm wondering who has tested it yet? Does it include Canada-Wide + US Carrier roaming?

Specifically, when I am visiting the USA (excluding the disclosed regions not participating), will my plan work as if I was at home? (no roaming add-on needed)

What about roaming within Canada? There are regions just outside my region (Sooke BC, Victoria BC) where there is no Public Mobile (Telus/Bell) coverage, but Rogers has recently added towers. Sepcifically, I occasionally drive to Port Renfrew/Jordan River to hike the juan de fuca trail, and there is no Public Mobile coverage along this highway, but there are new Rogers Towers covering that telus-network dead zone. I would like to know if this CANADA-US plan would work in the Rogers area, within Canada? -- NOTE: CRTC new decisions about seemless wholesale mobile wireless network roaming-handoff. (https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2022/2022-102.htm)

Similarly, would this plan be suitable for telus-network deadzones near the USA-Canada Border. Often I may actually still be in Canada, but the USA towers have stronger signal and my phone transitions to "welcome to the usa"? This happens alot along the Southwestern Vancouver Island Coast line, and a plan that enables this time of network coverage would be most benficial.

Please comment, Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

MD250
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you ever try PM in Jordan River or Port Renfrew?

Want to switch from Koodo to PM, but I know Koodo and Telus will let you roam on the Rogers network in that area for free. 

Up in those areas are you able to pick up a us tower? Maybe when you're there next time, try to scan for networks and see if T-Mobile shows up and then choose it.
This plan is a special case. You can "roam" around everywhere (except Alaska and those parts in MB) and be able to use your phone seamlessly. Go down and watch the Seahawks, service. Go to Victoria, service. Go to Akron, service. Go to Ottawa, service.
I don't think we'd ever see other roaming between Canadian competitors the way Telus and Bell do. That was a marriage of convenience.
Now, re-adding AT&T as a roaming partner would be useful to be able to go to Alaska.

FormosaWest1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thankyou for adding some clarity.

I would suggest to the plan-administrators to specifically indicate that this plan is for Telus/Bell/T-mobile coverage areas, in the plan details. 

Near the border there are regions where there is no telus-bell coverage, but us towers reach across the Juan De Fuca straight,  from San Juan Island, or neighboring US areas by sea.

Is there any plan to accomodate carrier roaming. I believe there are other cell providers that allow this - in other words - i would hope that one wouldnt need to have a rogers subscription to use a cell-phone in sooke/shirley/jordan river/port renfrew or the high connecting these communities. Its a rather long highway and the new towers were part-financed by the government.

Can i request that Public mobile executives work with Telus, Rogers, BC, and the CRTC to enable carrier roaming for expanded coverage in this region?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

In Canada - all Telus and Bell service areas except for Brandon and Winnipeg.
In US - only T-Mobile.

It's basically a Canada-US plan.

Adding - for the border issue it doesn't matter.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@FormosaWest1 

the Canada-US plan is designed to be used like you are in Canada when you are in US. You can call and use data like you are in Canada  Only thing to remember is that you still have to make sure you are connected to T-MOBILE and turn on data roaming on your phone to work

There is NO carrier roaming. Ie, you cannot use Rogers network if you cannot connect to PM network. Sorry, there is no such thing

For the issue when you are in Canada, but too close to the boarder and hooked onto US network, best workaround is to change Network selection to manual to select Public Mobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.