cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to replace phone

Yurong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking to replace an Asus Zenphone 3 with a shattered screen. On the $25 plan. Would like a reasonably priced phone that can pick up the Telus LTE and 5G bands.  In the past I was able to see a list of compatible phones, but now I cannot find it. So can someone provide a list of compatible phones. Also, I thought PM sold phones, but I cannot find the link. Does PM sell phones?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Yurong

Thanks Softech.

I see that Telus/PM use 5G bands N66(1700) and N78(3500). The Moto edge 2022 has N1(2100), N41(2500) and N78(3500). Does it matter that the phone is only compatible with the N78(3500) band?

Telus seems to have directed their little outfit here to have more restrictions on which devices will be allowed. I wouldn't use Telus references.

Yurong

Telus have the 2022 Edge listed for sale on their site:
https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/phones/motorola-edge?INTCMP=tcom_mob_catalogue_to_motoedge(2022)

The specs say it has VoLTE.  I suppose I have to buy the phone from Motorola, then check the IMEI. Is there a hard rule that Telus will only accept IMEI's from phones they sell? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Yurong , you can use this site to check if you have a device IMEI.  I have another warning, I had a device which had functional VoLTE the first couple of months after the feature went live and out of the blue I lost it and have never been able to recover it.  I am not saying my situation is the norm, you need to know it can happen and when it does, support has no solution.  I expect to retire this device before the 3G network is taken out of service, I can live with this problem.  

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Yurong

Glad I posted the question on this thread.  Is there a way to check if the 2022 Motorola Edge is on the Telus VoLTE  whitelist? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Yurong , getting a compatible phone is not so challenging.  Pretty much anything sold in the North American market will work.  The problem is with VoLTE compatibility.  Telus maintains a pretty short whitelist.  Without VoLTE, your phone will have a 2025 death clock when the 3G network is scheduled to be removed from service.  

Very nice choice for an affordable phone. This of course will work. 

@Yurong wrote:

So this phone should work?

https://www.motorola.ca/smartphones-motorola-edge-gen-3/p?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkaa6h4azgQMVGQyzAB3CxwbX...

HI @Yurong 

yes it will.  Major phone sold in Canadian market will work in PM.  And this Moto edge is for Canadian market and it will work

@Yurong  Yes that phone will work 

snowisfalling

Most phone available in Canada should work. If it is a foreign phone, just check they have the frequency bands that Telus uses

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Yurong  Sorry PM doesn’t t sell phone anymore , check out mobile klinik for CPO phones . There apart of Telus also 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Yurong 

it is too hard for any provider to keep a list of compatible phones, there are just too many phones out there

For the phone you want to get,  it should work. Try to get the US version or Taiwanese version.  Do not by the Indian version as it does not have all the bands PM needs

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Yurong 

Public Mobile no longer sells phones. If you want to be on the 5G network, look for a phone that supports 5G. It's that simple.

Need Help? Let's chat.