cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new sticky for Koodo/Telus ports

peugeot206
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am seeing a lot of Koodo users experiencing the same thing. Perhaps step by step instruction in how to port from Koodo/Telus is helpful?

I am thinking about porting over from Koodo myself but afraid that my account will go into limbo.

22 REPLIES 22

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic 

And this user made two posts 4 months ago. With how they sounded, they might be gone by now too.

Gotta check those timestamps.

Been there, done that. 🙂

@Anonymous  Yup, gotta switch back to caffeinated Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic 

And this user made two posts 4 months ago. With how they sounded, they might be gone by now too.

Gotta check those timestamps.

Been there, done that. 🙂

@drewballs wrote:

i just want my old phone number. i dont want to go through all of this crap. im reading how i should have done things differently after the fact. getting a phone shouldnt be this rediculous

@drewballs  Your right it's not. Knowledge is power and Public Mobile is a good fit for DIY types. The main website provides detail instructions on getting started on how to activate your account and port your number. If you didn't feel comfortable activating your account and porting your number then it would have been best to use the services of the kiosk (if available) or a retail location. 

I'm guessing that you setup the port in the wrong direction, is that correct? If that is the case then unfortunately the process does become ridiculously complex. Trying to get your old number back requires luck, time, luck, time and luck.

Good Luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RossN wrote:

@davidliang  If you go on the canada post website "track your order' type in your order number and it will ask you for your postal code it will tell you where your sims are welcome to Pm we are here to help!

While your post is good for other readers, that username hasn't posted for 2.5 years. They may even be long gone from here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Percey wrote:

Hey there- I don’t have a kids (second) phone to test on beforehand? Any alternate methods that you can come up with?

Cheers!

Not sure who you're talking to other than the last posting (me) but if you have a Koodo prepaid service, and it's active, you need to get help from the moderators to bring your number over to here.

@davidliang  If you go on the canada post website "track your order' type in your order number and it will ask you for your postal code it will tell you where your sims are welcome to Pm we are here to help!

Percey

Hey there- I don’t have a kids (second) phone to test on beforehand? Any alternate methods that you can come up with?

Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@drewballs wrote:

i just want my old phone number. i dont want to go through all of this crap. im reading how i should have done things differently after the fact. getting a phone shouldnt be this rediculous

Just speculating, but from the subject line, were you with Koodo prepaid?

Koodo prepaid requires moderator intervention.

@drewballs wrote:

So are you having issues with porting in your number from your previous provider?  What steps have you done so far?  Not sure what info to give you as I don't want to repeat things you may have already done.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

drewballs

@drewballs wrote:

oh my **bleep**ing god! what the **bleep** have i done? i shouldnt have switched

What is wrong Drew?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

drewballs

oh my **bleep**ing god! what the **bleep** have i done? i shouldnt have switched

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mariaquiambao oh my.  Sorry I didn't think to make that clear that the inbound port has to be in your PM self-serve rather than Koodo.  I hope you can get that resolved....  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mariaquiambao

Hello! This is an addition to the above instructions by @srlawren because I made a mistake when I interpreted step #2: when you are porting your Koodo number, do the porting through your PM account, and NOT through your Koodo account

I made a really newbie and silly mistake, and thought that I had to port through my Koodo account. So what I think ended up happening was that I accidentally deactivated my PM account. Sigh. Now, I am trying to restore my PM account again so that I can start using PM's services!

So, if you have never ported a number before (like me), I really hope this helps!

davidliang

@srlawren, much thanks. I didn't expect this detailed information. Smiley Very Happy Wow, this community really rocks! I have ordered SIM cards, couldn't wait for them to arrive.

srlawren

@Rugman29 great to hear, and welcome!

@jasonhpchu that's a good point, thought to avoid confusion I usually suggest an entirely different email address.  Hope your situation gets resolved quickly.

@davidliang like this:

1) order two SIM cards

2) when they arrive, activate the first one with a temporary phone number.  Use an email address that's different than the one you have used at Koodo.  Put it in your kid's phone, and make sure you can place and receive a call (on the temporary number), send and receive a text (on the temporary number), and browse to a web page (data test). 

3) once that's working, then sign into self-serve, go to Plans and Addons, Change Phone Number, and you can port of your kid's phone number from Koodo.  Once you get the text that the port is completed, reboot your kid's phone and test to make sure you can make and receive a call (on your kid's normal number), send/receive text (normal number), and still access data.

4) activate the second SIM with a temporary number.  This will be in it's own account at PM.  Make sure you use a different email than you used in step 2, and different than the one you use at Koodo.  Once activated, put the SIM in your phone, reboot, and test all 3 services with your temporary number

5) sign into your self-serve account (be careful to NOT sign back into your kid's account at this step), and go to plans and addons, change phone number, and request to port YOUR number from Kooodo

6) Once you get the text the port is done, reboot your phone, and test that all services are working with your usual phone number.

All done!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jasonhpchu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Seeing how my port isn't going smoothly, posting tips seems a bit hypocrisy...but I think this helps.

Don't forget the gmail trick of adding a "." (period).

Adding a period anywhere on your gmail e-mail name all goes to the same account.

ex. johnsmith@gmail.com = john.smith@gmail.com

so this will solve the use a different e-mail issue without needing to signup for a new e-mail.

also helps for cases where you manage multiple phone numbers.

Rugman29

I ported in from Telus last evening was very smooth. Used the same e-mail address I had with Telus and the same pin as well. No issues whatsoever.

davidliang

I have two lines (phone numbers) in my Koodo account, one for me and one for my kid. I am planning to port both lines to Public Mobile, how can I do it? Thanks.

srlawren

Great responses, @meekju1339 and @Luddite!  I especially love Luddit's Do's and Don'ts.  🙂

@peugeot206 I also recommend activating to a tempoary number first, as Luddite mentioned.  Get it activated, put the SIM in and reboot. Test that you can make and recieve a phone call (via the temp #), send and receive a text message (temp # again), and browse a web page you don't frequent, maybe www.microsoft.com or www.apple.ca, or anywhere really.

Only after you've confirmed your services on your phone, then log into the self-serve account and request the number port.  You'll be happier doing it this way if you run into any issues.

Also, as already stated, the most important thing with Koodo port to PM is to either use a different email address to sign up for PM than you use at Koodo, or, go into your Koodo self-serve account and temporarily change your email address there to a secondary one for the duration of the port.  The port will definitely fail if you use the same email address in both systems.

More info:

"Do nots” for Koodo port

- do not use the same email address for Kood and Public Mobile

- do not request the port-in during activation; take a temporary number, log out, confirm all services are active, log back into your account and select Transfer Number under Change Phone Number

- do not use any identifier except your Koodo account number; it is always the best item for any port-in request

- do not make any errors in the Authourized User; this must be exactly as it appears on your Koodo bill

- do not use the person's Koodo number as the Alternate Number; use someone else's

- do not forget to click "I am authourized ...." BEFORE entering your Koodo number (courtesy imm1304)

Worst case is moderator intervention, but everyone has succeeded in the end.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

meekju1339
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Porting from koodo/telus is smooth as long as you follow these instructions:

1) use a different email to set up your account then the email on your koodo/telus account

2) after the text message is recieved saying that the porting is complete, switch the email back.

3) enjoy your services

By the way, Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.