cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rewards vs Public points

Canuck63
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I'm currently on "My rewards" on the 3G plan, but I notice I can switch to the 4G plan for the same price ($40). My question is this ... if I switch to the 4G plan, will my reward plan switch to "Public Points"? I'm currently getting $6 off per month ($2 for auto pay and $4 for loyalty) ... so I like this. Will this change if I go to the 4G plan? I prefer to stay on "My rewards" if I switch plans.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

14 REPLIES 14

brookie1

Thanks for the info

@brookie1 wrote:

What would be the reason for regret?  Will the discounts end up being less?

@brookie1 

Yes, Public Points will give you a lot less rewards/discount

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more loyalty rewards, meaning the loyalty discount of $1/month up to $5/month will disappear. Instead, they will only give $10 each year on the anniversary.

For someone with PM between 1st to 12th month
                  The old reward system will give $0 that year, versus $10 at the end of the 12th month with thew new system
    For someone with PM between the 13th and 24th month:
                    The old reward program will give $12 that year ($1/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 24th month with the new system
    For someone with PM between months 25th and 36th:
                   the old reward program will give $24 that year ($2/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 36th month with the new system
    for someone with PM between months 61 and 72 (and every year after that after that point)
                  the old reward program will give $60/year ($5/cycle) versus $10/year under the new system 

3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot
    Also, you have to remember to convert your points to dollars once it reaches 15 points.  PM no longer automatic apply the reward discount.

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone  🙂

brookie1

What would be the reason for regret?  Will the discounts end up being less?

At a minimum, if you are getting current rewards then your discounts are consistent whereas in the points system the apply to bill option will seem to mean that your bill amounts will be in waves.  It may end up being the same amount overall but will require more monitoring.

trevorBraun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

RossN - why will they regret switching to points system?  I am just looking at that switch myself- what are the downsides to switching?

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great, I'll make the switch over for wifey.

@texwood- Only new activations are put on the points system. Or if one chooses to switch to points. The 3X points is a promo for new activations.

This is about the extent of official confirmation that we've seen here.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Public-Mobile-Plans-The-less-we-spe...

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@RossN wrote:

@Canuck63 Hi your rewards will stay the same no matter what plan you are on, do not change to points you will regret if you do as there is no going back

Can anyone be able to confirm this - perhaps from someone directly from PM?  The way I read the website posting, it seems to me that (or at least the way they are worded) new 4G plans are on points system.   

@Canuck63 one thing, if you are changing to a higher amount plan, it is usually advised to manually load enough fund into My Account before the change day to assure a smooth plan change.  There have been some reports that a plan upgrade might not work well with Autopay on the first time

Canuck63

Ah yes ... I meant to say that I would click on "Change plan on renewal date". That way it's a smooth transition.

Thanks!

@Canuck63   The other problem with an immediate switch is that you won't be able to use any rewards against the new cycle (so full payment for new plan) but the rewards will be available for your next payment.

Canuck63

Thanks. My renewal date is just in 3 days, so I'm going to switch today.

Canuck63

Thanks for the quick reply. This is good to know. I guess I will switch then, as the price and data amt is the same but I will be getting faster speeds and get to keep my reward plan! 

Cheers!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Canuck63   Just to add another point to what's already been said, you're also advised to Change at Next Renewal as PM doesn't prorate/refund for any unused days in your current cycle.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Canuck63 Hi your rewards will stay the same no matter what plan you are on, do not change to points you will regret if you do as there is no going back

Need Help? Let's chat.