cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone was stolen and I need to receive a text to use find my iphone.

gaijdelaney
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there anything I can do to have a text received on this website? Or can I use my number somehow on a different phone if I buy a new sim? 

4 REPLIES 4

"Find my iPhone" wasn't activated - and tested - before this phone was stolen. So now any activation, confirmation, or 2FA messages sent to it are going to be intercepted by the thief, lol, not very helpful to the previous owner.

The network carriers and operators can't and won't do anything about this. No text messages, no emails, nothing. The technical capability does exist - every active phone can be located and triangulated with fair accuracy, simply because that's the way cellular radio communications work. If you don't believe it then see how long it takes cops to show up after an urgent-sounding 911 prank. But imagine the reverse situation, where someone (like a thief, hacker, stalker, enemy) is attempting to locate a person through their phone - legal barriers have been installed for good reason.

The only real option for the consumer with a lost/stolen phone is to contact the provider and have the phone registered as a lost/stolen phone. Through Self-Serve on Public Mobile. Blacklisted phones aren't much use to most thieves. Maybe they'll smash it, maybe they'll return it hoping for a ransom or a reward.

My preference is GPS locator tags. In my particular case I've built one into my particular case, "invisibly" sewn and sealed into one of the plastic strap buckle things (along with a couple CR2032 batteries which should be good for years). I don't trust the phone software, it can be broken too easily and it's never fully under my control anyhow. I don't trust the phone hardware, it's not hard to turn it off or to simply remove its battery.

GPS locator tagGPS locator tagStuff inside a GPS locator tagStuff inside a GPS locator tagStuff outside a GPS locator tagStuff outside a GPS locator tag

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gaijdelaney 

If you want to locate your iPhone it needs to be connected to the network or the internet for the best chance of locating it.

Apple's Find My iPhone app is usually the go-to option when trying to track an iPhone. It tracks your phone's location via GPS from another internet-connected device. If you have the Find My iPhone app installed on multiple devices, say the iPhone and iPad, you do not need to log in to your iCloud account to track it

Here is Apple's info on using iCloud to locating your device....

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/icloud/mmfc0f2442/icloud

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

To pre-verify your account, provide your full name, address, your email, phone # and 4-digit account PIN#

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@gaijdelaney wrote:

Is there anything I can do to have a text received on this website? Or can I use my number somehow on a different phone if I buy a new sim? 

@gaijdelaney  - You can log into your self serve and see if texting is being sent or received in the view history section, if you were looking to see usage.

You just cannot see the content, but I know that is not very helpful if you needed the content of the text.

As a guide, see steps on how to list your phone in "Lost/Stolen" status and also "Changing Your SIM Card" at the bottom of this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gaijdelaney  Buy a brand new sim card. Can get one at Walmart/London Drugs if you have one near you.

Then log into your account and click change sim card. They'll send a verification to your email. Then all your account and number is on new sim card. Put it in another phone and try to locate your phone. 

Weird that you need a text message to use find my iPhone cause when you switch the sim as I suggested it cuts off network to that sim card in the phone. So hopefully you will still be able to track it. Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.