cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My City is not Recognized

ptpz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Public Mobile and community,

Currently living in Surrey, BC. Unfortunately the city is not located in the drop-down menu or suggestions. Previously, I needed to send a ticket to update my address manually via an agent when I moved (Surrey within Surrey).

I am moving again (Surrey within Surrey yet again), but I still cannot update my address easily due to the same problem.

image.png

This is the second time I've already encountered this issue so I wanted to get some support if other users experienced the same, and to hopefully make what seems like an easy change to the system - and save everyone's time and effort! 😉

11 REPLIES 11

Justeena
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you!

@Justeena you can find and update your address on the Profile page of My Account.  Just click the pencil icon to the right of Account name

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/account-infohttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/edit/account-info

Justeena
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to PM, where abouts do you find your address?

@messenabout wrote:

@Nezgar @computergeek541 @ptpz 

Curiously enough, when I went into my profile to make a change to something else I noticed there was no city in my address. It was BLANK lol. I added my city which was in the drop-down list. My city has a two-word name but there was no space between them in the list. I added a space which it didn't accept. I removed the space and all was good. I just thought it was really weird that it was empty to begin with LOL.

For anyone who previously had a city saved in the address that isn't in the current list, those city names auomatically got blanked out when the Self Seve system changed in July.  For that point on, customers could only choose cities in the list,

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ptpz 

What no sunny Surrey? What about Langley?

I guess you have to use Vancouver.

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Nezgar @computergeek541 @ptpz 

Curiously enough, when I went into my profile to make a change to something else I noticed there was no city in my address. It was BLANK lol. I added my city which was in the drop-down list. My city has a two-word name but there was no space between them in the list. I added a space which it didn't accept. I removed the space and all was good. I just thought it was really weird that it was empty to begin with LOL.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Personally, I would leave it blank. Your address and postal gives your exact location. 

It can't be left blank if the customer wishes to change anything in the address.  The system won't allow the customer to proceed.

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Personally, I would leave it blank. Your address and postal gives your exact location. 

Tested it - doesn't let you leave it blank... So you gotta choose something in the list, probably best to match the rate centre of your chosen phone number, which can be looked up here: https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_lookup.htm

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@ptpzThere's actually no technical reason that the name or address information in your account even needs to be accurrate/current, other than potentially as a verification point if you ever have to re-gain access to the account if you're locked out or something... The only address that actually matters is the one associated with your credit card pre-authorized payment info, so the credit card can be validated...  Public Mobile will never actually mail you anything.

We have 2Fa now on the self-serve portal, but there was a point (approx 2020-2021) where fraudulent port-outs and sim swap fraud were being regularly reported in the forums here, and altering your name in the account was actually a recommended protection against porting out, so that the name a fraudster might try to use to port out your number would not match what was actually in your account. 😕

So in a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about it too much - but I can understand that would be kinda annoying - maybe a ticket will at least make them aware of the issue and they might eventually do something about it...

Edit: I just checked out the "Update Account Information" page in my own self-serve portal, and it looks like they've taken the pre-populated city list from the telephone number rate-centre list. Crazy, For example, South Kamloops rate centre is listed as "RedRock" - what normal person is going to know this! And many other cities in the BC Lower Mainland will be lumped into the few rate centres available for Telus Mobilty. (Vancouver, Abbotsford, Aldergrove, NewWestminster, Sechelt)

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Only cities it the list be selected and saved. Please use Vancouver..

Need Help? Let's chat.