cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to another Province

Sherry1313
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi 

I live now in NS but may move to NB soon. Can I keep my account with PM? If so, any charge for the move? Any change in the service quality? My plan is the 4+2gb.

Thanks in advance for help!

13 REPLIES 13

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

By changing from an Alberta number to an Ontario one, you will be paying the both GST/PST as opposed to just GST you pay currently, so might be something to keep in mind.

The "life hack" in this particular scenario, @FRANCIS2, is to perform a modest-to-large onetime balance topup on your account prior to changing your number. You will not be charged PST while you have an Alberta number - then change to a number in your new province and you will defer paying the PST/HST of your new province until that balance is used up...

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

I moved from Alberta to Ontario.

I want to change my province for the phone.

I understand that this is to be done via Self Serve, but I cannot find that Prompt Self Serve in MY ACCOUNT.  

Please can anybody guide me on how to find this.

Thank you

Francis

@FRANCIS2 

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

You will need to provide the same information as requested during the activation process above.Your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer, so ensure your old SIM card is still in your device so you can receive and respond to this message. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until the number has been successfully transferred.

EDIT: striked out extra stuff you can ignore for your purposes, I believe.

"Change Number" below:

esjliv_0-1615037373895.png

You would save on the amount of taxes you paid if you kept the AB phone number.

But I get if you want to change it, incase others in ON do not have long distance calling.

But, just an FYI.

@FRANCIS2 wrote:

I understand that this is to be done via Self Serve, but I cannot find that Prompt Self Serve in MY ACCOUNT.  

Thank you

Francis

@FRANCIS2    Are you wanting to change your tel. number or just update your address?

Both can done in your self serve account.   Log into your account and select Change Number on the right hand side of overview page, or use the Plans/Add-ons tab and then select Change Number.  Select the city you want or the nearest city to where you are located.  You can change to another city and back again to your preferred area to refresh the list of numbers.

For address changes select Update My Profile.

By changing from an Alberta number to an Ontario one, you will be paying the both GST/PST as opposed to just GST you pay currently, so might be something to keep in mind.

Do the change number option and choose a number in your new location. 

You can also change  your address too, in your profile. 

Both done in My Account. 

Taxes  on your payments will go up as taxation is based on the province that the phone number belongs to.  So top up and save a few bucks while you still have your AB number. 

Done. 

FRANCIS2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you

Francis

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

a lot of business phone plan includes Canada-wide as well, at least with the businesses that I worked in.

wrote:

Hi 

I live now in NS but may move to NB soon. Can I keep my account with PM? If so, any charge for the move? Any change in the service quality? My plan is the 4+2gb.

Thanks in advance for help!

As for service quality, you will still be using the same Public Mobile service and plan (unless you decide to make a change to national-wide calling if your plan doesn't already have it). The network quality and coverage is dependent on how the network and towers are set up in the area that you are trying to use the service.  If you've moving to an urban area, you should be fine, but if you are moving to a remote/very rural location, you could get poor coverage or even no coverage at all.

It's up to you to deicde if you want to change phone numbers after the move, but if you have only a province-wide calling plan, then your NS numbers is not officially supposed to be able to receive any phone calls while in NB (although it probably will).  The other issue with keeping your NS number while you are in NB is the fact that people in NB will need to pay long distance charges to call you (if not included in their calling plans). 

Dan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Many people have only Province-wide calling on their plan, and moving to another province  and keeping your number from another province is expensive on such a plan. Any incoming call is considered long distance in such a case, and if you have the long distance add-on, all incoming calls will take minutes from the add-on.

If you have Canada-wide, or US+Canada-wide, then it makes no difference to you if you change your number to a NB number, or you keep your NS number. But anyone in NB calling you will need to pay long distance.

Best option if you move is to change your number in self serve. If on the other hand you wish to keep you NS number if you ever go back, you could port it out to a service such as Fongo, but that would close your PM account. Then you'd have to activate a new PM account, with a new SIM card, but you would lose all the loyalty and referal credits you get on your original PM account.

@Acekiller, I don't know about that.

If I move, especially to a different province, if I don't have a landline for "home", and only have a cell phone, I know many businesses would be upset if they had to spend money calling long distance to me.

Doctor's office, Dentist's office, etc, next door neighbour, kid's school, etc....

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

these days, most people just keep their numbers when they move province. Most of cell phone plans include Canada-wide calling so it shouldn't affect you too much.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Sherry1313, you can change your number as stated but you can also keep your current number but there are a few issues with keeping it that might make you want to change it.  All of your calls in your new province will be a local call, but calls to your old home province will be long distance and require the addon(if you don't have Canada Wide Calling).  Incoming calls from your old province won't be an issue and you will still receive them.  Incoming calls from your new province from a landline or a cell that does not have Canada wide calling will have to dial your number as a long distance call.

ETA:  Sorry saw the first post has this all covered

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Hey, you're moving, how exciting!

To base your plan in a new province, you'll simply need to change via Self-Serve, your phone number to a area code and exchange in the City you're moving to.  Taxes may be different.

There's nothing stopping you from using your current number in the new City, however people calling you from your new City will have to pay long distance as it would technically be a long distance call.  I recommend always having your phone number based where "you" are based.

Need Help? Let's chat.