cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from BC to Edmonton for One month. Do I need a new phone number?

lakumar2011
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am moving from BC to Edmonton for one month. Do I need a new phone number? My phone number in BC starts with 778 area code. Edmonton phone start with 780. Do I have to get a new phone number for 1 month?

8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LurganIeUk wrote:

As others said. I would like to add..please take a toque, parka, lined boots and  a snow shovel. 

+1 lol.  Good advice for someone who lived in BC warm weather.  But it is only for 1 month.

As others said. I would like to add..please take a toque, parka, lined boots and  a snow shovel. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is something You need to decide. Some one will have to pay long distance charges to call you. either ppl back home in BC or people in Edm. How attached are you to the BC#. If you get a Edm#, most likely you will not get back you original BC#. Something to think about.

popping

@lakumar2011 

You can get a Edmonton number on Fongo and setup Fongo always to call forward to your BC number.  You give your Fongo number to Edmonton people to call you without paying long distance.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@lakumar2011 hi you can download textnow app and search for a free local number in Edmonton. and then just forward that number to your current phone. that way people won't be charged for long distance

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lakumar2011 wrote:

I am moving from BC to Edmonton for one month. Do I need a new phone number? My phone number in BC starts with 778 area code. Edmonton phone start with 780. Do I have to get a new phone number for 1 month?

You don't HAVE to. You could if you like. You'd lose your old number though. Local numbers only matter if callers have to call YOU long distance and you wish them not to. Callers in BC would have to call you long distance if you keep your AB number. Callers in AB would still call you "locally" if you keep your number. If you change your number then callers in AB would be calling you long distance.

Make sense? 🙂

Edit: sorry...other way around...not going to edit the whole thing now

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@lakumar2011 if you have a Canada wide plan. Just dial a 1 infront of the number you are calling. If a provincial grandfathered plan. Then buy the 500 minute $5 Canada wide addon. Stay safe. 

popping

@lakumar2011 wrote:

You do not need to change phone number unless you have a Canada wide calling minutes.  All current PM plans have Canada wide calling minutes.  People from Edmonton will pay long distance to call you if they do not have Canada wide calling minutes.  You cannot keep your BC number if you change to Edmonton number for 1 month. 

But you will be saving BC sales tax 7% for 1 month and pay only GST.  You may decided to keep the Edmonton number after moving back to BC.

My son is still using an AB number in Vancouver almost 2 years to save the 7% sales tax.

Need Help? Let's chat.