cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Cross-province

Rosie5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am from BC but am moving to Quebec for university in the fall. Do I need to set up a new phone plan, or get a new phone number/sim card etc?

4 REPLIES 4

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Rosie5 

You don't need to change anything as PM service is Canada wide but I would recommend you keep the BC number because Quebec has higher taxes (GST & PST).

The taxes on your monthly bill is based on the area code of your number.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Rosie5 No new sim is needed and you can keep your BC number if you like.  Kids these days are using cells and should have Canada wide calling and hence call you should not be a problem.

You can also download VoIP app TextNow and pick a QC number as a backup.  People cam call that QC number and your app would ring. TextNow will work as long as you have wifi or mobile data

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Rosie5 

you going back to BC when classes finished ? Best to keep your BC number then. Most cell plans in Canada now include Canada wide calling so your friends in PQ will likely be able to call you w/o tolls.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You don't need to change anything. Callers in Quebec would need their own long distance dialing to call you though. You could change your number to a Quebec number and then callers from BC would then it.

Need Help? Let's chat.