cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved province and getting taxed extra

bhagwanlakhawat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I moved from Ontario to Alberta in Aug 2020. Ontario had 13% Tax while Alberta has only 5 %. I did update my address online on portal.

I am on a $25 plan, with autopay I pay only $23. MY Visa shows a charge of $25.99. 

I am still getting billed as per Ontario tax which is incorrect, Tried to raise TT but it dose not accept my community credentials. I know they credentials are correct as I can post here.

Can some one suggest how can it can be fixed and get credit for extra amount.

11 REPLIES 11

@bhagwanlakhawat wrote:

lol, Yes, I moved to Alberta as i got promoted to a new office here in Edmonton.  Changing number is not a viable option for me as god knows how many places have this number ( CRA, Banks, Email, FB, etc.)

I will try to move to other provider and see how much they charge for Tax on the number originally signed up for in Ontario. 

All cellular carriers will charge the sales tax rate of Ontario for an Ontario phone number.  The voucher merhod mentioned is the only way around this.

@bhagwanlakhawat 

You could just purchase a voucher to pay for your service. Since you will be purchasing it in Alberta you will then only be charged gst. Leave your credit card registered for autopay to continue to recieve the $2 reward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bhagwanlakhawat : It still leaves it as a long distance call for callers in AB to call you. So that depends on what they have for a long distance package.

bhagwanlakhawat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

lol, Yes, I moved to Alberta as i got promoted to a new office here in Edmonton.  Changing number is not a viable option for me as god knows how many places have this number ( CRA, Banks, Email, FB, etc.)

I will try to move to other provider and see how much they charge for Tax on the number originally signed up for in Ontario. 

Thanks all for your help, will keep everyone posted. 

@Nezgar 

Nice one....that completely slipped my mind! 

@bhagwanlakhawat 

Join the London drugs LD extras program and purchase $10 vouchers on different days or different locations and you'll earn a $5 LD "coupon" that you can redeem for vouchers to earn another "visit".

10×$10 purchases (visits)=$5 coupon + you recieve a $5 coupon from LD on your birthday!

@darlicious wrote:

@bhagwanlakhawat 

You get taxed based on your phone number. You would have to change to an Alberta number.

no no no - you can do it without needing to change number! While tax will be calculated by the province associated with the phone number if you add a payment using a credit card or auto-pay, you can go to any retail location that sells Public Mobile payment vouchers in Alberta that will be charged at Alberta tax rates, so no PST. Top-up via voucher each time before your account balance runs out and you can continue to pay the reduced PST while keeping your Ontario number.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@bhagwanlakhawat wrote:

I moved from Ontario to Alberta in Aug 2020. Ontario had 13% Tax while Alberta has only 5 %. I did update my address online on portal.

I am on a $25 plan, with autopay I pay only $23. MY Visa shows a charge of $25.99. 

I am still getting billed as per Ontario tax which is incorrect, Tried to raise TT but it dose not accept my community credentials. I know they credentials are correct as I can post here.

Can some one suggest how can it can be fixed and get credit for extra amount.

Hi @bhagwanlakhawat did you literally move to Alberta?  or just wanted the lower tax? 😁

just curious.  As already posted above, taxes are based on your area code.  So if you want the 5% tax, you need an Alberta number.

Best wishes

RosieR 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@bhagwanlakhawat, taxes are based on Area Code and not mailing address.  To be taxed at the Alberta tax rate you will need to switch to an Alberta area code and phone number.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@bhagwanlakhawat 

And here's how to choose a new number:

Choosing A New Phone Number

You can change your phone number once every 30 days after you’ve activated. This can be done though your Self Serve Account. To learn how to change your phone number through Self Serve, please see our help article here.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If You don't care about your number just get Alberta one. I use it in Ontario actually. There are some beautiful ones with 780 area code that belong to Telus. I choose my in spiritriver

If you want to be local to your friends and family from Ontario you can get Ontario number from Fongo and forward it to your new Alberta number. You will need to maintain that number by making one free outbound call every 90 days, they will send you an email reminder

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bhagwanlakhawat 

You get taxed based on your phone number. You would have to change to an Alberta number.

Need Help? Let's chat.