cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G play 2023 compatibility

ccresswe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi , I saw a few posts about this phone but not clear if anyone has been successful with it working seamlessly.

I understand it is a 4g phone and isn't on the PM whitelist for Volte. 

The phone is my elderly mother's phone and I want to bring her over from Koodo where the phone is working fine. Im assuming that that since they work on the same network, that won't be a problem but I did see some posts that you need 5g for the app to work. That doesn't make sense to me . 

Can anyone confirm that the Moto G play 2023 works with the PM app

7 REPLIES 7

ccresswe

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have moved my mother over to PM this past week on the $24/4 GB 4g plan

The Moto G play 2023 is Volte compatible on PM but not esim.  In any event, it's saved her $50/ mos over the Koodo plan she was on . 

ccresswe

Thank for the reply. Unfortunately,I have a PM esim so can't swap the sim .

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ccresswe 

I can confirm that the Moto G Play works with PM because one of my friend have one and it works.

He also have the Moto G Stylus 5G and also works.

You doesn’t need 5G for it to download the app so go to Google Play Store and get the app to activate the SIM.

saturna
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@softech wrote:

@ccresswe 

But at the moment, PM still fully support voice with 3G network and will be for another couple years. Also, some customers prefer the reliability with 3G voice, so, it is not bad either way

Sorry to burst your bubble, oracle, but with the increasing refarming of frequency spectrum to 5G, 3G has already become less reliable to non-existent in some areas where it used to work reasonably well before.

VoLTE access is becoming more and more important. As a BYOD provider, Public Mobile really should get rid of the whole whitelisting, so that people like the op can just use their phone wherever they go in Canada and the US.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ccresswe 

G Play 2021 was working fine with VoLTE according to this:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-Phone-Compatibility-Community-membe...

so G Play 2023 should also have VoLTE

But at the moment, PM still fully support voice with 3G network and will be for another couple years. Also, some customers prefer the reliability with 3G voice, so, it is not bad either way

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ccresswe 

if the phone works while on Kodoo network, it'll work just fine on PM network.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@ccresswe   The app doesn't require 5G.   In the unlikely event she can't download the app you can use your phone to set up her account, then she doesn't need to use the app after that. VoLTE is probably an unknown but why not try your PM sim in her phone?   You can both see if PM works for her and test whether VoLTE works (turn off wifi on the phone and make a call with cellular data on, if the phone drops to 3G it doesn't have VoLTE, if it stays on LTE then it does - lack of VoLTE is only an issue for US roaming).  My only reservation is that you ideally need to be somewhat tech savvy for a self-serve provider like PM and be aware that customer service has no phone number to call for help and it may take a little while for online customer service.  If you can do everything for her in that case then that's different.

Need Help? Let's chat.