cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G Stylus 5G 2022 (Android 12) - Traveling in USA T-Mobile resetting SIM

OnePunchMan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $34 plan with unlimited USA data roaming. And I am traveling in Boston right now. When I go to "Network & Internet", I see the "Calls & SMS" cycle between "SIM 1 (Temporarily unavailable)", "Public Mobile", and "Public Mobile (Temporarily unavailable)"

If I look at the "About Phone" > SIM status", it cycles between "No service" and "T-Mobile".

If I go into "Network & Internet" > Mobile Network" I get a cycle of three things:

1) "Public Mobile - The SIM is Disabled" with a blank screen

2) " Public Mobile" I see the normal menu, but is frozen when I try to scroll down to the APN settings

3) "Settings isn't responding" Close app / Wait

4) At some point in time, I was able to get into the APN settings to try to Add T-Mobile settings from:
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#su... under the "Android Guide".

My workplace has no WiFi either... so I am really stuck. Help!

9 REPLIES 9

OnePunchMan

So it seems that setting it to Airplane Mode for 8hours today while I worked kind of made it work. It is now limping along connected with the default settings. But it connected as "EDGE" which means 2G protocol (even though Preferred is set to "LTE (recommended). So I can at least send texts and make voice calls. The data is incredibly slow, however...

OnePunchMan

Each time I go into the settings for *Mobile network ", it freezes and either (a) the screen is blank, (b) It shows 'SIM 1, Please remove SIM card to disable SIM, (c) the UI does appear and shows Preferred network="4G(recommended)" OR "LTE(recommended)" cycling between, or (d) I try to scroll down in the settings and it says "Settings isn't responding. [Close App] or [Wait]"

And two times, my phone rebooted itself from here...

OnePunchMan

I'm coming to the conclusion that it is my specific phone in combination with Android 12 that is the issue. I have tried rebooting the phone, yes. I have kept Mobile Data and Roaming Data on.

And I have kept the APN settings set to the default for PM.

The behaviour is more of an issue at the OS level.

I am able to get a burst of data for a second every 3-5min. I tried in Metropolitan Boston as well as further north in Andover/Lawrence area. Same behaviour, just flipping on and off continuously and even draining my battery in doing so.

I think it is this issue described here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-stylus-5G-2022/the-phone-loses-signal-sometimes-for-a-few-second...

@OnePunchMan wrote:

I was unable to change the APN settings at all. So it is currently set to Default.

But I can't scroll down in the settings 90% of the time because of the cycling (see below)...

I just turned on Mobile Data and Data Roaming, and I am now getting Intermittent data.

Every 3 seconds the connection icon alternates between:

a) 4G R with half signal sometimes with Exclamation mark

b) "LTE R with good signal" to

c) No Text with No signal bars to

d) No icon

And it just does this continuously!

I assumed you have tried rebooting your phone.  It looks like you are getting an intermittent connection.  Are you situated within the metropolitan area?  I did not explore the entire city but generally within metro Boston, signal strength was great.  I was getting either LTE or LTE+ and with letter R to signify roaming.  Of course do not turn off mobile data or roaming data.  

OnePunchMan

I was unable to change the APN settings at all. So it is currently set to Default.

But I can't scroll down in the settings 90% of the time because of the cycling (see below)...

I just turned on Mobile Data and Data Roaming, and I am now getting Intermittent data.

Every 3 seconds the connection icon alternates between:

a) 4G R with half signal sometimes with Exclamation mark

b) "LTE R with good signal" to

c) No Text with No signal bars to

d) No icon

And it just does this continuously!

colleeno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As others have stated, leave your network set to auto so that it can move between T-Mobile and AT&T if required. Change your network type to 4G/LTE (not 5G). Public Mobile’s roaming with AT&T doesn’t work on 5G.

@OnePunchMan wrote:

4) When I try to Save my APN settings for T-Mobile, it doesn't save. And the SIM goes back to "SIM is Disabled". It frequently switches between and loses the context of any settings I entered and never saves.

My phone supports VoLTE, it's just that it keeps cycling between connected and not connected and essentially I can't get into the settings to add T-Mobile as an Access Point Name (and subsettings).

You should not need to play around with APN settings, I did not have to.  Put settings on auto and let the system decide on whether to connect to AT&T or T-Mobile.  Enable VoLTE if you have such a setting on your phone.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@OnePunchMan , I was just in bean town a week ago.  What I found was connection would switch back and forth between AT&T and T-Mobile without any notice.  This happens in the same location.  I did try manual connection and found that to not work out well.  I would disconnect spuriously and be left without a connection for a period of time.  Leaving the network selection on auto, the system was able to navigate back and forth between AT&T and T-Mobile seamlessly.  I suggest you enable the Public Mobile SIM as the active SIM, allow the phone to auto select the network connection, put preferred network type in LTE preferred.  Toggling airplane mode or phone reboot will work to start a network connection.  

OnePunchMan

4) When I try to Save my APN settings for T-Mobile, it doesn't save. And the SIM goes back to "SIM is Disabled". It frequently switches between and loses the context of any settings I entered and never saves.

My phone supports VoLTE, it's just that it keeps cycling between connected and not connected and essentially I can't get into the settings to add T-Mobile as an Access Point Name (and subsettings).

Need Help? Let's chat.