Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More talk minutes deducted than call duration on phone

Geigs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I saw in my PM account I was deducted 5 minutes for talking 4 minutes

My call duration on my phone was 3:37 so I should have been deducted 4 minutes

In my PM account its says my call duration was 4:01 and I was deducted 5 minutes

Who can I talk to about this ?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slash407 wrote:

so pm charges by da minute. Bummer. 

Uhhh...Like most other companies. 😄 😄 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Geigs wrote:

Yeah ok I corrected it and marked mimmo_L post as solution,

does he/she get credit for providing solution ?

Anyways I just wanted to add further confirmation to that post

Bravo's, solutions, post-counts - they are all a part of how the community rewards are rewarded.

It's also kinda frowned upon to give yourself a solution. It wasn't exactly that that I was questioning. It was that well hey this guy up here actually said exactly that. A self-solution is going to get some scrutiny.

I have seen it though that a whole discussion ensued, and a whole bunch of ideas were tossed around and the OP came up with the answer in the end. He gave himself the solution. No objections.

But it could be gamed. And we don't take too kindly to gamers here 🙂

Your return post is always appreciated so that we can all see what came of the issue.

Geigs

Yeah ok I corrected it and marked mimmo_L post as solution,

does he/she get credit for providing solution ?

Anyways I just wanted to add further confirmation to that post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Geigs wrote:

Mods got back to me and said the same thing that was quoted in the terms;

"Keep in mind that incoming call originated on our network, are charged for complete calls from the time the caller presses send.
And for Incoming call originates on another network, Customers are charged from the time the networks start processing the call, which is prior to when the phone starts ringing (only charged on completed calls).
This is the reason why you see a talk time of 3 minutes and 37 seconds in your phone, but actually, the call duration is 4 minutes and 2 seconds."

So why didn't you give the solutuon to mimmo_L?

Geigs

Ok the mods got back to me and said the same thing that was quoted in the terms posted by

mimmo_L earlier, so thanks for that !

Here is what the Mod told me;

"Keep in mind that incoming call originated on our network, are charged for complete calls from the time the caller presses send.
And for Incoming call originates on another network, Customers are charged from the time the networks start processing the call, which is prior to when the phone starts ringing (only charged on completed calls).
This is the reason why you see a talk time of 3 minutes and 37 seconds in your phone, but actually, the call duration is 4 minutes and 2 seconds."

I've marked mimmo_L post as the solution !

Geigs

I'm aware of carriers rounding up to the nearest minute, never heard of carriers calculating network routing time and ring time though.

Yes I have the $10/30 day plan, and I will buy more minutes if I need to

@Geigs wrote:

I think you found the answer mimmo_L in the terms of service,

"Voice airtime is calculated, including the time used to route the call through the network and any ring time."

The phone is not going to record the time to "route the call through the network or ring time"

All my call durations are more than they are recorded on my phone actually, but this was the biggest discrepancy so far.

Very sneaky way for PM to round up minutes

But Ill try Private messaging the mods and see what they say

They go with the flow / industry standard.

My experience is only with prepaid providers in Canada, but all I've used had/have by-the-minute talk pricing, and it's always been rounded up.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GeigsI am assuming you are on teh $10, 50 minute plan, else you probably would not care much. I do not think the mods will really be able to do anything, as they can not modify teh way the system counts minutes.  My only suggestion is to buy the 200 or 400 minute long distance add-on they dont expire and are a cheap way of adding minutes to that plan.

do update teh thread once you hear back if possible.

Geigs

I think you found the answer mimmo_L in the terms of service,

"Voice airtime is calculated, including the time used to route the call through the network and any ring time."

The phone is not going to record the time to "route the call through the network or ring time"

All my call durations are more than they are recorded on my phone actually, but this was the biggest discrepancy so far.

Very sneaky way for PM to round up minutes

But Ill try Private messaging the mods and see what they say

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Geigs  I believe PM counts the time to connect and ringing as usage, not just the actual talk time.  taht might be the cause of the discrepincy.

Edit from the terms of service:

Voice calls Charges for voice calls are based on the airtime used when you make and receive calls on your mobile phone. Voice airtime is calculated, for both incoming and outgoing calls, from the time the call is initiated to the time it is disconnected, including the time used to route the call through the network and any ring time. The airtime for each voice call is rounded up to the nearest minute.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Geigs, if you wish to contest a usage problem, you will need to reach out to the moderator team.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code along with a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.