cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Data limit Reached - MMS and RCS Chats (photos & group chats) no longer work even with wifi

BeedleGuy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

I have an android phone (TCL 10) and I use Google Messages for texting. Once I reached my data limit for the month, media and group messages no longer work even though I have wifi on and I also have bonus data that is unused. I don't have a data limit set on my phone. I tried switching between RCS and MMS/SMS. All I see is the 'tap to download' icon and it tries to download until eventually it fails. I confirmed all my APN settings are accurate. Data does work for other things but just not messaging. As soon as I reached the monthly limit all wifi, data, or mms capability stopped working. 

Any help appreciated, thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

BeedleGuy

Yes it turns out I am affected by the Telus MMS APN changes. However, I wasn't given any notices - all of a sudden my MMS just stopped working. I had about a 20 message conversation with various CS Agents before they finally escalated to a senior tech support. From there they told me the server for the old APN was being shut down or something. After trying a dozen different things to switch my MMSC Proxy they said my phone APN settings are likely hard coded and I would have to get a new phone. I did actually also follow up with TCL and they said the APN is solely configured on the carrier side. Either way, It looks like I'm stuck having to buy a new phone... Hadn't see the article you linked and see that my phone is not on the list but my wife has a Galaxy A71 - also not on the list - and it works fine. I also got a text a couple weeks back that said, "Hi, it's Public Mobile. We have determined that your issue (issue #) is linked to a known issue. You will be notified when this issue has been resolved." Still haven't been notified...  If anything changes I'll let you know.

@BRHildebrandt1   Do you know is you are affected by the Telus MMS APN changes detailed here?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

Is your phone on the compatible list above?

Also some people have had problems with MMS since the update to Android 14.

If none of this applies you might want to start your own thread since this one is a month old.

BRHildebrandt1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm facing this exact problem as well. My data cycle has even renewed but I'm still not getting group texts.

Have you found a solution to this @BeedleGuy ?

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can you let me know how this works out? I have bonus data on my account as well and I've always wondered how it's handled if I use my monthly limit.

BeedleGuy

Okay, thanks for the guidance - I will reach out to Public Mobile customer service. To clarify, SMS does work, so does RCS as long as it's not media or a group message. But RCS for group chats or media and MMS does not work. I have tried opening and closing the app. Wifi is working in every other way and has a stable connection. Data also works for other things. 

@BeedleGuy   Why it doesn't seem to make sense is because SMS does not need either data or wifi, MMS needs cellular data and doesn't work over wifi.  From what I've read RCS can use either wifi or data but to work the recipient also has to be using RCS.  So SMS should always work without any internet connection at all.  If your wifi connection isn't working that would be a problem with your ISP or phone/settings and has nothing to do with Public Mobile.  If SMS isn't working that would be a cell phone/settings/Public Mobile problem.  I don't know a lot about RCS other than that it should work unless both wifi and cell data are not working.  Don't RCS messages that can't be delivered fall back to SMS?  

When I had an Android I used Textra because it worked better for me than Google Messages.  I tested the free version with ads and then paid a small one off to go add free.  I don't know what the options/capabilities are now as I switched to iPhone.  Edited to add that I never used RCS on Textra so I don't know its capabilities there. 

Have you tried closing the Messages app and then re-opening it?

If you want to see if Public Mobile customer service has any suggestions you can private message the agents using this link.  An agent will reply at the envelope icon top right or, if no envelope, then tap on your avatar to see Messages.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

BeedleGuy

Thanks for passing this on but hasn't helped unfortunately... 

BeedleGuy

Once I reached my monthly limit all media messaging whether using RCS or SMS/MMS has stopped working, and whether wifi is turned on or not.  Given here all suggest this doesn't make sense and/or there shouldn't be a connection it seems the most likely is that it was just coincidence that it stopped working the same time as my monthly limit was reached. My first thought is I had a data limit set that would turn off my data once reached. But even in that case RCS should still work with wifi. And I also didn't have a data limit set. Only thing I haven't tried is a different messenger app but wasn't super keen on setting a new one up. Most I find have ads and stuff. Any suggested messenger apps to try? 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@BeedleGuy   I may be misunderstanding but are you saying the bonus data doesn't kick in when you have used your regular data bucket?   You have to have cellular data on for MMS to work, it doesn't work over wifi.   You say data works for other things but not messaging but then when you get to the monthly limit wifi data and mms stop working, I don't see why wifi would stop working because it has nothing to do with your cell service? 

BeedleGuy

Yes, just tried again. Same problem, click 'tap to download' and after a while it just says 'not available'...

Sounds stupid but...  after you switched, did you reboot? 

BeedleGuy

I have tried to switch to SMS/MMS instead and it's the same problem. I haven't tried a different messaging app yet though so only thing I can think of is it's something with the Google Messages. But it's odd that it stopped working when I reached my monthly data limit. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I'm not an Android guy @BeedleGuy but I thought the new Google Messages needed data to be sent now. I'd recommend going into your settings and send as an SMS and not what it's set as now. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BeedleGuy , this behaviour seems rather strange.  MMS data goes through an unmetered proxy server.  RCS can use either mobile data or WiFi.  Which messaging app are you using?  There might be issues with that app.

Need Help? Let's chat.