cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making use of the 240 GB "Bonus" Data

dcchan22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Like most people I received 240 GB of bonus data.  I can never use that much data in the 150 days before it expires. 
Can I switch to the $15 basic plan for the next few months to make use of the bonus data? Or will it become "Incompatible Add-on" if I do that?

( I realize there is also the risk that I cannot get back on to the $34 plan in the future).

3 REPLIES 3

Burdwood
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dcchan22 wrote:

Like most people I received 240 GB of bonus data.  I can never use that much data in the 150 days before it expires. 
Can I switch to the $15 basic plan for the next few months to make use of the bonus data? Or will it become "Incompatible Add-on" if I do that?

( I realize there is also the risk that I cannot get back on to the $34 plan in the future).

The "incompatible" messages in Self Serve are unrelated to changing to a $15 plan.  That message is the result of previous add-ons that could not be used in conjunction with plans that include unlimited data at reduced speeds.  Ironically, the 240GB bonus data isn't incompatible with plans that include unlimited data, so I'm at a loss to explain why other add-ons don't work on those plans.

The explanation I have is that PM wants to sell you their separate "continue using high speed data" add-ons when you hit the 512kb throttle. (IIRC it was something like 1GB for $15 or 4GB for $40? Sorry, haven't gone over the standard allotment for quite a while). As much as I try, I'm not able to burn through my 40GB before renewal, so even if the 240GB were compatible with my unlimited plan (doubtful), I'd never be able to use it.

We also don't know which $34 the op is on - if it's the Canada-US plan and they are using the roaming portion, holding on to this discontinued plan might be more valuable than using up all the data (which, as mentioned above, wouldn't be possible anyway, since the add-on will be taken away if you change plans). We don't know if the $34 roaming plan is ever coming back, and if it does whether it'll be open to existing customers. Plus the Can-US plan having a hard cap, add-ons could actually be used (likely in Canada only, though?), after the limit is reached.

@dcchan22 wrote:

The "incompatible" messages in Self Serve are unrelated to changing to a $15 plan.  That message is the result of previous add-ons that could not be used in conjunction with plans that include unlimited data at reduced speeds.  Ironically, the 240GB bonus data isn't incompatible with plans that include unlimited data, so I'm at a loss to explain why other add-ons don't work on those plans.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@dcchan22 

you can switch to the $15 plan..BUT...you'll lose the 150 day Bonus Data. Best is just to use it..watch a hockey game or something fun.

Clipped from Help Files...

Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.